Stoke parameters and incoherent light

In summary, the conversation is discussing the application of Stoke's parameters and Jones calculus to incoherent light. There is confusion about how these methods can work on incoherent light but fail to work on monochromatic light. It is clarified that Jones calculus only applies to fully coherent light while the Mueller calculus (Stokes vector) can describe partially polarized light. Additionally, randomly polarized light is always considered incoherent.
Wminus
Hi. There is one thing I don't understand: Why do stoke's parameters and all the Jones calculus business apply only to incoherent light? I don't understand how it can work on incoherent light, while fail to work on e.g. monochromatic light.

Or am I just confused? All answers appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
Why should they fail in any case? They are the comprehensive description of all kinds of electromagnetic waves. The Wikipedia article is pretty good. Which point don't you understand?

Likes Wminus
Wminus said:
Hi. There is one thing I don't understand: Why do stoke's parameters and all the Jones calculus business apply only to incoherent light? I don't understand how it can work on incoherent light, while fail to work on e.g. monochromatic light.

I think you are confused- the Jones calculus *only* applies to *fully coherent* light. The Mueller calculus (Stokes vector) is more general and can describe partially polarized light. Consequently, there is a unique mapping of Jones vectors to Stokes vectors, but not the reverse.

Likes Wminus
OK, I see. thanks guys.

BTW, randomly polarized light is always incoherent, right?

Yes, by definition.

1. What are Stoke parameters?

Stoke parameters are a set of four quantities that describe the polarization state of incoherent light. They are used to fully characterize the polarization state of light, which is the direction and magnitude of the electric field oscillations as the light propagates.

2. Why are Stoke parameters important?

Stoke parameters are important because they provide a quantitative way to describe the polarization state of light. This is useful in many applications, such as in telecommunications, optical imaging, and materials characterization.

3. How are Stoke parameters measured?

Stoke parameters can be measured using a polarimeter, which is an instrument that measures the intensity and polarization state of light. The measurements are then used to calculate the values of the four Stoke parameters.

4. Can Stoke parameters change over time?

Yes, Stoke parameters can change over time. This is because the polarization state of light can change as it travels through different media or interacts with materials. However, for incoherent light, the Stoke parameters will remain constant on average.

5. What is the difference between coherent and incoherent light?

Coherent light is light in which all the electric field oscillations have the same frequency and are in phase with each other. Incoherent light, on the other hand, has random electric field oscillations with different frequencies and phases. This results in a lack of a well-defined polarization state for incoherent light.