Stone released from a rising balloon

• Thread starter subhradeep mahata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balloon
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a stone being dropped from a balloon with a 30m displacement downwards. The first method involves solving for time in the ground frame, while the second method involves solving for time in the balloon frame. However, the answers do not match and there is confusion about the role of the ground in the balloon frame. It is suggested to treat the balloon's upward motion as the initial velocity of the stone in the balloon frame.
subhradeep mahata
Homework Statement
A balloon is rising upwards with a constant velocity of 5 m/s. When it is at a height of 30 m from the ground, a stone is released from it. Calculate the time taken by the stone to reach the ground.
Relevant Equations
s=u*t+1/2(at^2)
I solved it in ground frame like this:
-30=5t-5t2, and then solving for t which comes out to be 3 sec.(displacement is 30 m downwards)
Now, I am not getting the same answer when i am trying to solve it in the frame of the balloon.
W.r.t. balloon, the initial velocity is zero, displacement is still 30 m, and acceleration is -10 m/s2 downwards (as the balloon itself does not have any acceleration).
So, -30 = -5t2, but t is coming out to be √6 sec. But I am aware that time does not depend on frame of reference, so I should get the same answer.
Please help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
subhradeep mahata said:
W.r.t. balloon, the initial velocity is zero
Yes, but how far will the stone have to travel in that frame? What is the ground doing?

I think that the stone should travel the entire 30 m distance that the balloon has ascended.

What happens with the ground in the time it takes for the stone to travel 30 m in the balloon frame?

I am not sure, but I think the ground now should move downwards with 5 m/s relative to balloon.

Likes PeroK
Right. So when the stone has moved 30 m in the balloon frame, is the ground there?

I wouldn't calculate it like that. The motion of the balloon after the stone has been dropped is irrelevant. Rather you treat the upward motion of the balloon as the initial velocity of the stone when it is dropped.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
HallsofIvy said:
I wouldn't calculate it like that. The motion of the balloon after the stone has been dropped is irrelevant. Rather you treat the upward motion of the balloon as the initial velocity of the stone when it is dropped.
This is what was done in the OP, the question was about doing the same in the baloon frame. The -5t-30 is the position of the ground in the baloon frame, which is important if you want to know when it will be colocated with the stone.

Likes neilparker62
Orodruin said:
This is what was done in the OP, the question was about doing the same in the baloon frame. The -5t-30 is the position of the ground in the baloon frame, which is important if you want to know when it will be colocated with the stone.
And in the same frame, the stone has zero initial velocity - hence it's position is the other side of the equation ##-5t^2##.

1. How does a stone released from a rising balloon behave?

When a stone is released from a rising balloon, it will fall towards the ground due to the force of gravity. However, since the balloon is also rising, the stone will appear to move in a curved path as it falls.

2. Will the stone fall straight down?

No, the stone will not fall straight down when released from a rising balloon. It will follow a curved path as it falls towards the ground due to the balloon's upward movement.

3. What factors affect the stone's trajectory when released from a rising balloon?

The stone's trajectory when released from a rising balloon is affected by the balloon's upward movement, the force of gravity, and air resistance. These factors can cause the stone to follow a curved path or deviate from its expected trajectory.

4. Does the size of the stone matter when released from a rising balloon?

Yes, the size of the stone can affect its trajectory when released from a rising balloon. A larger stone will experience more air resistance, causing it to fall slower and follow a wider curve compared to a smaller stone.

5. Can the stone's path be predicted when released from a rising balloon?

The stone's path when released from a rising balloon can be predicted to some extent, but it may deviate due to factors such as wind and air resistance. Calculations and simulations can be used to estimate the trajectory, but it may not be entirely accurate in real-world scenarios.