Stopping Distance affected by Mass of Cart on Inclined Plane

In summary, the speaker is conducting an experiment on how mass affects the stopping distance of a small cart when colliding with an open box on an inclined plane. They have kept the angle of the plane and the box constant, and are using two motion detectors to measure position, time, velocity, and acceleration. They have derived an equation and found that the stopping distance increases as mass increases, but the force also increases, causing confusion. They are unsure how to proceed with their analysis and are seeking help.
Bapple

Homework Statement

I am doing my IB Physics Individual Investigation on how mass affects the stopping distance of a small cart when colliding with an open box at the bottom of an inclined plane.

I wanted to know the relationship mass has with the stopping distance, similar to how a train colliding with a container is much larger than a car when velocity is uniformly the same. To do this, I have kept as much constant as possible with the inclined plane being at an angle of 13.1 degrees with a constant height and length. The inclined plane allows the same amount of applied force on the cart when multiple tests for a data point is being done. The box is a simple cardboard open box that can easily fit through the constant cart I am testing. I have two motion detectors which detect the position, time, velocity, and acceleration at the same time: one at the bottom, right most on the horizontal table, 99.5 cm from the end of the ramp and one at the top of the ramp, about 61.7 cm from the end of the ramp. The mass is incremented by 0.1kg each time, so the data points would be 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5. I have also attached an illustration of my setup. The only thing missing is the ruler which is positioned from the end of the ramp to the sensor at the bottom. The position at which the cart is released on the ramp is not changed either and is kept constant.
Physics II 2016 FINAL.png

Homework Equations

I have come up with an equation derived from one of the SUVAT equations:
v^2 = u^2 + 2ad
since final velocity is zero, v = 0;
0= u^2 + 2ad
-(u)^2 = 2ad
since a = F/m;
-(u)^2 = 2(F/m)d
m[-(u)^2] / 2F = d

The Attempt at a Solution

When I finished conducting the experiment, I found out that the stopping distance did indeed increase as the mass increased and initial velocity, right before the cart hits the box, is around 1.00 ms^-1 for every mass. When inputing the velocity and stopping distance into the base SUVAT formula, I come up with different negative accelerations, largest being the smaller masses. This supports the hypothesis because the larger negative acceleration results in the cart stopping faster. But when trying to find F in the derived equation, I end up with a larger force as the mass goes up, rather than being constant. This leads to my confusion. If force was found to be constant, then mass would have a direct affect on the acceleration.

I am now very confused as to how I should proceed with my analysis. The data supports the hypothesis but I have no idea as to how this is happening. Is mass affecting this or something else entirely. If someone could please help, I would really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bapple said:
when trying to find F in the derived equation, I end up with a larger force as the mass goes up, rather than being constant.
I'm not quite sure what you are saying. Are you finding that as the mass increases the magnitude of the acceleration decreases, but more slowly? Hence the net force must be increasing somewhat, but more slowly than the mass increases?
What forces do you think contribute to the deceleration?

1. How does the mass of the cart affect the stopping distance on an inclined plane?

The mass of the cart has a direct impact on the stopping distance on an inclined plane. The heavier the cart, the greater the inertia and momentum it carries, making it more difficult to slow down or stop. This means that a heavier cart will require a longer stopping distance compared to a lighter cart.

2. Is there a specific formula to calculate the stopping distance based on the mass of the cart?

Yes, there is a formula that relates the mass of the cart to the stopping distance on an inclined plane. This formula is d = (mv²)/(2μg), where d is the stopping distance, m is the mass of the cart, v is the initial velocity, μ is the coefficient of friction, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the stopping distance?

The angle of the inclined plane also plays a role in the stopping distance. As the angle increases, the cart will accelerate faster and therefore require a longer stopping distance. This is because the angle affects the component of the force of gravity acting on the cart, which influences its acceleration and ultimately, its stopping distance.

4. Can the surface of the inclined plane impact the stopping distance as well?

Yes, the surface of the inclined plane can also affect the stopping distance. A rougher surface will provide more friction, which can help slow down the cart and reduce the stopping distance. On the other hand, a smoother surface will have less friction, resulting in a longer stopping distance.

5. Are there any other factors besides mass that can affect the stopping distance on an inclined plane?

Yes, there are other factors that can impact the stopping distance on an inclined plane. These include the initial velocity of the cart, the angle and surface of the inclined plane, and the coefficient of friction between the cart and the surface. Additionally, external forces such as air resistance can also play a role in the stopping distance.