Stopping distance, Book is wrong?

In summary, the book says that the stopping distance is the sum of thinking distance and braking distance. The book applies the formula vf2-vi2=2asbrake. But it substitutes sbrake=sstop-sthink.Hm...ok I just reread the question and I think I get it now. So the illustration shows the distance at the time I see the pedestrian relative to the pedestrian...I.e. the distance from when t=0 to the distance when v=0. I thought that illustration was showing the distance at time t=0.75 to the distance when v=0, which is the braking time.sorry about this question.Please don't drink and derive o0):sm
Oz123

Homework Statement

Tests reveal that a normal driver takes about 0.75 s before he or she can react to a situation to avoid a collision. It takes about 3 s for a driver having 0.1% alcohol in his system to do the same. If such drivers are traveling on a straight road at 30 mph (44 ft/s) and their cars can decelerate at 2 ft/s2, determine the shortest stopping distance d for each from the moment they see the pedestrians. Moral: If you must drink, please don’t drive!

Homework Equations

s=vt
y2 = y2 + 2ac (s - s0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I already know how the book solves it, the problem is that I'm not sure if the book is correct. Here's the solution from the book (12-15):
http://image.slidesharecdn.com/solutionmanualhibbelerengineeringmechanics12thedition-130719121523-phpapp02-131228081729-phpapp02/95/solutionmanualhibbelerengineeringmechanics12thedition-10-638.jpg?cb=1388219005
But the problem is that I think they gave the distance d relative to some coordinate where s=0 at t=0 and not the d that is illustrated. I think that the proper solution for this is something like this:
let the distance they got at time t=0.75s be d1=33ft and the solution they obtain is d2=517ft. Now this are relative to the origin s=0, t=0. So the distance that we want to find "d" is d=d2-d1=484ft. Same procedure for the 2nd case. Am I right?...I think the illustration is for the breaking distance, isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oz123 said:
But the problem is that I think they gave the distance d relative to some coordinate where s=0 at t=0 and not the d that is illustrated. I think that the proper solution for this is something like this:
let the distance they got at time t=0.75s be d1=33ft and the solution they obtain is d2=517ft. Now this are relative to the origin s=0, t=0. So the distance that we want to find "d" is d=d2-d1=484ft. Same procedure for the 2nd case. Am I right?...I think the illustration is for the breaking distance, isn't it?
I'm not grasping your difficulty with the book solution.
The idea is to calculate stopping distance, which is the sum of thinking distance and braking distance.
The book applies the formula vf2-vi2=2asbrake. But it substitutes sbrake=sstop-sthink.

Hm...ok I just reread the question and I think I get it now. So the illustration shows the distance at the time I see the pedestrian relative to the pedestrian...I.e. the distance from when t=0 to the distance when v=0. I thought that illustration was showing the distance at time t=0.75 to the distance when v=0, which is the braking time.

sorry about this question.

Please don't drink and derive o0):smile:

Likes Oz123 and SammyS

What is stopping distance and how is it calculated?

Stopping distance is the distance that a vehicle travels from the moment the brakes are applied to the point where it comes to a complete stop. It is calculated by adding together the thinking distance, which is the distance a vehicle travels while the driver reacts to a hazard, and the braking distance, which is the distance the vehicle travels while the brakes are applied.

Why is it important to know the stopping distance of a vehicle?

Knowing the stopping distance of a vehicle is crucial for safe driving as it allows drivers to anticipate and react to potential hazards on the road. It also helps drivers maintain a safe following distance from other vehicles to avoid collisions.

How does speed affect stopping distance?

The higher the speed of a vehicle, the longer the stopping distance will be. This is because as speed increases, so does the distance it takes for a vehicle to come to a complete stop. It is important for drivers to adjust their speed accordingly to allow for a longer stopping distance.

Can stopping distance be affected by other factors besides speed?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect stopping distance such as road conditions, weather conditions, and the condition of the vehicle's brakes. Road conditions, such as wet or icy roads, can increase the stopping distance while well-maintained brakes can decrease it.

What should I do if the stopping distance listed in a book is different from my own calculations?

If the stopping distance listed in a book or manual is different from your own calculations, it is important to double check your calculations and make sure all factors, such as speed and road conditions, are taken into account. If there is still a discrepancy, it is best to consult with a certified mechanic or driving instructor for further clarification.