Stopping distance of a car?

In summary: Now you can use the mass and acceleration to find the stopping distance.In summary, the problem involves a car traveling at 115.2 km/h with its ABS disabled. A deer jumps into the road 50 meters ahead and the car's braking force is 4000N. The question is to find the final stopping distance and determine if the car will hit the deer. Using the equation for sum of forces in the x-direction, the acceleration is found to be -5.8 m/s^2. However, upon further calculation, the acceleration is found to be different, leading to confusion. The correct approach is to use the braking force to find the acceleration and then use this value to find the stopping distance.
David Donald

Homework Statement

While traveling on the highway with your 1000kg car, at 115.2 km/h, where you’re ABS (automatic

braking system) is disabled. This means braking is relying solely on the friction of your tires with the road when they stop spinning. A dear jumps into the road 50 meters in front of you. If the frictional force created by you slamming on your brakes is 4000N. What will your final stopping distance be? Will you

hit the dear? Assume no air resistance.

Homework Equations

Kinematics?

The Attempt at a Solution

Sum of Forces in The X direction
(Force O' Car) - (Force O' Friction) = -ma

I solved for acceleration and got -5.8 m/s^2
plugging these into the kinematics equation I got a time... 5.52 seconds
plugging that into the Xf = Xo + Vox t + 1/2 a t^2 I got a distance which is wrong

what gives? what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your acceleration is wrong. Please show your calculation steps so we can provide more targeted assistance.

When someone tells you, "Be a dear," they don't mean for you to drop down on all fours while wearing a hat rack on your head. :rolleyes:

"Deer" is the animal which jumps out in front of the car. :wink:

Ok... So I am not able to get to the same acceleartion I was getting before so now I'm really confused

Since the only thing acting on the car when its stopping is the breaking force would it be

Sum Fx = -Fbrakes = ma ?

That's right.

What is stopping distance of a car?

Stopping distance is the distance a car travels from the moment the brakes are applied until the car comes to a complete stop. It includes the distance covered during the driver's reaction time and the distance covered by the car while braking.

What factors affect the stopping distance of a car?

The stopping distance of a car can be affected by factors such as the speed of the car, the condition of the road surface, the condition of the car's tires and brakes, and the driver's reaction time.

How is the stopping distance of a car calculated?

The stopping distance of a car can be calculated using the formula: stopping distance = reaction distance + braking distance. The reaction distance is the distance the car travels during the driver's reaction time, while the braking distance is the distance the car travels while braking.

Why is it important to know the stopping distance of a car?

Knowing the stopping distance of a car is important for drivers to understand the amount of time and distance needed to safely stop their vehicle. It can also help drivers adjust their speed and maintain a safe following distance to prevent accidents.

How can the stopping distance of a car be reduced?

The stopping distance of a car can be reduced by maintaining good driving habits such as keeping a safe distance from other vehicles, anticipating potential hazards, and regularly maintaining the car's brakes and tires. Additionally, driving at a safe speed and avoiding distractions can also help reduce the stopping distance of a car.