Story where a scientist definitively proves there is no god

• Thread starter Khatti
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary: ill-effects would be a nice touch.The scientist has a theory that the universe is just a computer simulation and that we are all living in it.
fresh_42 said:
how many really evil crimes have been and are committed in the name of a religion.
That's called confirmation bias. When is the last time you heard of a crime being committed in the name of atheism?

Have you heard the myth that more babies are born during a full Moon? Well, how many people, upon the birth of their baby, look up and say 'huh, my baby was born during a waxing gibbous! What're the odds?'

[EDIT] Oops. Yeah. We got to get off the religion-bashing topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
[EDIT] Oops. Yeah. We got to get off the religion-bashing topic.
Sure.

micromass said:
Can we stop focussing on the evil or greatness of religions? It's strictly forbidden on PF for very good reasons. I was hoping we would get some more answers on the OP's question, but perhaps this thread needs to be locked...

Yeah...it is quite conceivable that I opened the can of worms before I wanted too. Sorry to all involved.

I half remember a story like this I read in my youth. It was a minor plot point, basically a scientist had (about a generation before) discovered a theory of everything that adequately explains the origin of the universe and everything in it. There were still religious people but less of them. Anyone who took the time to study the TOE realized that there was no need for God.

But that's rather simplistic as others have said. Whilst many people may have become atheists by learning more about the world many haven't.

Perhaps one way for the story to work would actually be the opposite: discover that there is a God but that it is nothing like any human concept of God and has nothing to say about human lives.

DaveC426913 said:
When is the last time you heard of a crime being committed in the name of atheism?

Get enough people sufficiently radicalized and that time will come too.

Likes Geology Erwin
Khatti said:
Scandinavian countries have something that is unique in the world: clear memories and written records of the gods and religion that Christianity replaced.

Unlike, say, Rome or Greece?

Likes fresh_42
Vanadium 50 said:
Unlike, say, Rome or Greece?

True--bad, careless Khatti! The Greeks and Italians had a great deal of say in how Christianity was constructed. I often wonder to what extent the Catholic Church is as much a creation of Caesar as it is of Christ. Scandinavian choices were of the "Join or die" variety.

Khatti said:
True--bad, careless Khatti! The Greeks and Italians had a great deal of say in how Christianity was constructed. I often wonder to what extent the Catholic Church is as much a creation of Caesar as it is of Christ. Scandinavian choices were of the "Join or die" variety.
Julius Caesar born 100 BC
Nero began the persecusion of the christians 64 AD
Theodosius declares Christianity the state religion 391 AD

256bits said:
Julius Caesar born 100 BC
Nero began the persecusion of the christians 64 AD
Theodosius declares Christianity the state religion 391 AD

Caesar was the honorary name taken by many Roman Emperors. It even lived on beyond the Roman era as "Kaiser" in German, or "Tsar" in Russian.

micromass said:
Caesar was the honorary name taken by many Roman Emperors. It even lived on beyond the Roman era as "Kaiser" in German, or "Tsar" in Russian.
Yes. Just showing it not all just Julius, since he is the most well known.

micromass said:
Can we stop focussing on the evil or greatness of religions? It's strictly forbidden on PF for very good reasons. I was hoping we would get some more answers on the OP's question, but perhaps this thread needs to be locked...
Noo, keep it hot.

There are specific falsifiable hypothesis in all religions. For example, Christians believe in a caring God based on His willingness to take on human form and human pain as Jesus Christ.

If the character had a time machine and observed Jesus using sleight of hand to feign his death and resurrection, this would disprove Christianity significantly enough for many devoted followers (myself at least) to abandon it completely. Curiously, the historical evidence one can obtain without a time machine is convincing enough that some have become Christians on account of it, as described https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007YXWPZE/?tag=pfamazon01-20. I don't know if it's fair to call it "investigative" but still an interesting read.

But if I were you I'd have him hop in a time machine and verify explicit deceptions in the origins of all the major religions. I imagine it could happen in a paragraph or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go Whovian on us. A Dr. Who. Or Time Lord like The Master. Or like Heroes Reborn, a Master of Time and Space. Oh wait. That's been done already.

Khatti, what about a time machine "camera" of sorts, where we can passively observe the future evolution of humans (both biological and technological) and that evolution leads to us mastering time, space and creation itself -- at which point we create the universe retroactively. We become our own God, pulling the Universe up by its own bootstraps. Maybe not what you're looking for but I think it would still have enormous social consequences, etc.

rjbeery said:
at which point we create the universe retroactively. We become our own God, pulling the Universe up by its own bootstraps.
Unfortunately, that has been done to-death.

There's a publisher's list out there somewhere entitled 'plot ideas we don't ever want to read again' and I think that one is on it.

Likes Geology Erwin and phinds
Personally I would have my main character be an average Joe who doesn't have the technical and scientific knowledge to understand the math or science behind the result, he just observes what's happening around him.

The last person who successfully proved that God does not exist vanished from the universe, along with all references to him. Who were we talking about?

Likes DaveC426913
This thread has been answered in as many ways as possible and keeps straying onto religion, so it is closed.

Likes Geology Erwin