Straight engine vs flat engine on a 1 cyl. motorcycle

In summary, the conversation discusses the advantages of a straight engine over a flat engine for a motorcycle. Some believe a straight engine may produce more torque and contribute to sharper turns, while others argue that gravity may hinder its movement. However, the orientation of the cylinder does not have a significant impact on power or handling, and a flat engine may offer a lower center of gravity for better stability.
Ariel24K
Hello everybody

I just got an old underbone bike, which I'm planning to build and finish before the end of this year.
I found the engine to be quite pathetic (a 4 stroke, carburetted, 100 cc flat engine) so I'm going to do an engine swap with a more powerful but similar engine configuration

The questions starts here, what advantage would a straight engine have over a flat one ?

some say that a straight engine will produce more torque as gravity will help it's piston movement, but is it true ? won't gravity also hinder it's piston movement while the piston is going upward ?

Second, I once read that a straight engine will help make sharper turns as the cylinder movement will contribute to the bike's centripetal force, but I don't see how that could be true as a piston that rocks back and forth like that would also add to the centrifugal force of the bike and both will cancel out each other.

Not to mention that a flat engine will have a lower center of gravity, thus making it more stable.

So please help me with my questions here, is there any fact that I miss ?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The orientation of the cylinder won't have a significant effect on power or handling. A more vertically oriented cylinder will allow a shorter length (front to back) of the motorcycle. A more horizontally oriented cylinder would allow a shorter height (top to bottom). I'm ignoring the case of a horizontal but sideways oriented cylinder, since that would require conversion of the engine's rotation about a roll axis to a rotation about pitch (wheel) axis.

Likes Ariel24K

1. What is the difference between a straight engine and a flat engine on a 1 cyl. motorcycle?

A straight engine, also known as an inline engine, has all of its cylinders arranged in a single row, while a flat engine, also known as a boxer engine, has its cylinders arranged in two rows opposite each other. On a 1 cylinder motorcycle, this means that the straight engine will have one cylinder in a vertical position, while the flat engine will have one cylinder on each side in a horizontal position.

2. Which type of engine is more common on a 1 cyl. motorcycle?

Generally, straight engines are more common on 1 cylinder motorcycles because they are simpler and easier to manufacture. Flat engines require more complex engineering and are typically found on larger motorcycles with multiple cylinders.

3. How do the performance and power differ between a straight engine and a flat engine on a 1 cyl. motorcycle?

Both types of engines can produce similar levels of performance and power, but they achieve it in different ways. Straight engines tend to have a higher RPM range and produce power more smoothly, while flat engines have a lower center of gravity and can provide more torque at lower RPMs.

4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a straight engine on a 1 cyl. motorcycle?

The main advantage of a straight engine is its simplicity and ease of maintenance. It also tends to be more fuel efficient and can provide a smoother ride. However, a straight engine can be more prone to vibration, especially at higher RPMs.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a flat engine on a 1 cyl. motorcycle?

The main advantage of a flat engine is its low center of gravity, which can improve handling and stability. It also tends to have less vibration and can provide more torque at lower RPMs. However, a flat engine is more complex and can be more expensive to manufacture and maintain.