Strain Gauge Angle Homework question.

In summary, an expert summarizer of content observed that homework equations involve three equations and four unknowns. They used a matrix to solve for three of the unknowns. They found that Ex is 250E-6, Ey is .75E-6, and gammaxy is -225E-6. P is 12.5 KN.
xXOfNiRXx
[a]1. Homework Statement [/b]
photo.jpg

I thought it would be easier to post a picture since this way the drawing can be seen. I'm having a hard time deciding what angles to use with the relevant equations, see below.

Homework Equations

I know that:

Ex' = (Ex/2)*(1+cos(2*theta))+(Ey/2)*(1-cos(2*theta))+(gammaxy/2)*sin(2*theta))
Ey' = (Ex/2)*(1-cos(2*theta))+(Ey/2)*(1+cos(2*theta))-(gammaxy/2)*sin(2*theta))
Gammax'y'= -Ex*sin(2*theta)+Ey*Sin(-60)+gammaxy*cos(2*theta))

Then, back solve for Ex, Ey, and gamm. Then use: Sigmaxx = (E/(1-v2))*Exx+ (v*E*Eyy)/(1-v2).

From There, Sigmax = P/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I used -30 and 2theta = -60 for the angle in all three of the above equations. However, a friend used -30 for Ex, 60 for Ey, and 15 for gammaxy. What is the correct angle? I get 12.5KN as a final solution, while she gets 1.85KN.

I used a matrix:

Ex Ey Gammaxy = Ex' or Ey' or gammax'y' respectiveyl

.75 .25 -.433 = 270E-6
.25 .75 .433 = 10E-6
.866 -.866 .5 = 0

I find that: Ex = 250E-6 Ey=.75E-6 and gammaxy = -225E-6

I find that Sigma x = 50Mpa

and Finally P = 12.5 KN based on the above equations.

Did I make the correct assumption that I should use -30 as the angle for all three stress transformation equations? All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
xXOfNiRXx: You are correct; use theta = -30 deg for all of your relevant equations. Your relevant equations are correct. However, your solution and answer are currently wrong. Try again. Also, do not round your numbers so much. Hint 1: You seem to have said gammax'y' is zero, and gammaxy is nonzero; but shouldn't these two be the other way around?

(1) By the way, always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 1.85 kN, not 1.85kN. See the international standard for writing units (ISO 31-0). Or see any credible textbook.

(2) The unit symbol for kiloNewton is kN, not KN. The unit symbol for megapascal is MPa, not Mpa. Always use correct capitalization of unit symbols.

(3) Numbers less than 1 must always have a zero before the decimal point. E.g., 0.25, not .25. See the above links.

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback. I will correct my errors momentarily. Can you explain why gammax'y' is not zero and why gammaxy is zero?

xXOfNiRXx: In your relevant equations in post 1, you currently have three equations and four unknowns. You need one more equation. Hint 2: What is gammaxy for principal axes?

Alternately, you could use hint 3, instead of hint 2. Hint 3: What is an expression for eps_y, in terms of eps_x, using Poisson's ratio, when the y faces are unconstrained and not loaded, where eps means epsilon?

Last edited:
Got it, thanks for your help. :)

Related to Strain Gauge Angle Homework question.

What is a strain gauge angle?

A strain gauge angle is a device used to measure the strain or deformation of an object. It consists of a thin wire or foil that is attached to the surface of the object and changes its resistance when the object is deformed. This change in resistance can be used to calculate the strain or angle of the object.

How does a strain gauge angle work?

A strain gauge angle works by converting mechanical strain into an electrical signal. When the object to which the strain gauge is attached is deformed, the strain gauge changes its resistance, which in turn changes the voltage output. This voltage change can be measured and used to calculate the strain or angle of the object.

What are the applications of strain gauge angles?

Strain gauge angles are used in a variety of applications, including structural testing, material testing, and load monitoring. They are also commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and civil engineering to measure the strain and performance of various components and structures.

What are the advantages of using strain gauge angles?

There are several advantages of using strain gauge angles. They are highly sensitive and accurate, making them ideal for measuring small changes in strain. They are also non-intrusive and can be easily attached to the surface of an object, making them suitable for a wide range of applications. Additionally, they have a long lifespan and can be used repeatedly without losing their accuracy.

What factors can affect the accuracy of strain gauge angles?

The accuracy of strain gauge angles can be affected by several factors, including temperature changes, electromagnetic interference, and improper installation. It is important to carefully consider these factors and take necessary precautions to ensure accurate measurements.