Strain gauges and Wheatstone bridges

In summary, anyone know the significance of strain gauges and Wheatstone bridge in applications within mechanical and robotics areas? Thanks.
Capstone
Anyone know the significance of strain gauges and Wheatstone bridge in applications within mechanical and robotics areas. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
An accurate strain gauge can be made from 4 strain elements in the topology of a Wheatstone bridge. The differential output voltage is then independent of temperature.
Your question needs to be more specific.

Capstone said:
Anyone know the significance of strain gauges and Wheatstone bridge in applications within mechanical and robotics areas. Thanks
Sure, strain gauges measure how stressed robots are feeling. Wheatstone bridges are used by robots when making bread.

But seriously, (1) Have you done any reading about these questions at all? Post links to your reading and ask us about what is confusing you. (2) Is this a schoolwork question?

berkeman said:
Sure, strain gauges measure how stressed robots are feeling. Wheatstone bridges are used by robots when making bread.

But seriously, (1) Have you done any reading about these questions at all? Post links to your reading and ask us about what is confusing you. (2) Is this a schoolwork question?

Ahaha funny guy you

But seriously, (1) Do you really think I would be asking you for help if I would have been able to find the information myself? Use your head mate (2) No, it's not school work I just ask these questions on physics forums for the fun of it.

Okay, I'll accept that it's not for school (so far), but you did not post links to your reading like I asked. Please do so, and tell us which parts are confusing you. There are indeed some confusing parts to understanding bridges, but until you show us what you have done so far, there is little we can do to help you.

Last edited:
Likes Baluncore
Capstone said:
Ahaha funny guy you

But seriously, (1) Do you really think I would be asking you for help if I would have been able to find the information myself? Use your head mate (2) No, it's not school work I just ask these questions on physics forums for the fun of it.
1- Yes
2 - Presumably, sarcasm.

With luck you'll get all the help you deserve.

Likes sophiecentaur, Averagesupernova and berkeman
Capstone said:
Use your head mate
Brilliant words. Just what's needed if you really want help. And actually, a very apt reply back to you.
I wonder where you heard that PF is an alternative to doing your own spadework.

1. What is the purpose of a strain gauge?

A strain gauge is a device used to measure the strain or deformation of an object. It works by converting the physical deformation of the object into an electrical signal, which can then be measured and analyzed.

2. How does a strain gauge work?

A strain gauge consists of a thin wire or foil that is attached to the surface of the object being measured. As the object deforms, the wire or foil also stretches or compresses, causing a change in its electrical resistance. This change in resistance can be measured and used to calculate the strain or deformation of the object.

3. What is a Wheatstone bridge and how is it related to strain gauges?

A Wheatstone bridge is an electrical circuit that is used to measure small changes in resistance. It consists of four resistors arranged in a diamond shape, with the strain gauge connected in one of the arms. When the strain gauge experiences a change in resistance, the Wheatstone bridge circuit detects this change and produces an output voltage that can be measured and used to calculate the strain.

4. What are the different types of strain gauges?

There are several types of strain gauges, including foil strain gauges, semiconductor strain gauges, and bonded resistance strain gauges. Foil strain gauges are the most commonly used and consist of a thin metal foil attached to a backing material. Semiconductor strain gauges use a semiconductor material, such as silicon, to measure strain. Bonded resistance strain gauges are made by bonding a wire or foil directly to the surface of the object being measured.

5. What are some common applications of strain gauges and Wheatstone bridges?

Strain gauges and Wheatstone bridges are commonly used in various industries and fields, including engineering, aerospace, automotive, and medical. They are used to measure strain and deformation in structures, materials, and components, as well as to monitor and control processes and systems. Some specific applications include stress analysis, load testing, and vibration measurement.