How Does Strain Affect Triangle Geometry in Tensor Analysis?

In summary: Any help would be greatly appreciated!In summary, the homework equation for a right triangle is A^2 + B^2 = C^2. The elongation at point A is AO(0.02) while the change at point C is CO(0.03). The direction cosines for AC are (1/sqrt(2), 0, -1/sqrt(2)) and for BD are (-1/sqrt(6), sqrt(2)/sqrt(3),-1/sqrt(6)).
paxprobellum

Homework Statement

Strain tensor E = [0.02 0 0; 0 0.01 0; 0 0 0.03] (no shear strains).

A triangle consists of points A, B, and C, each on axis X1, X2, and X3 respectively. The lengths OA = OB = OC, and D is the midpoint of AC. The direction cosines of AC are (1/sqrt(2), 0, -1/sqrt(2)) and those of BD are (-1/sqrt(6), sqrt(2)/sqrt(3),-1/sqrt(6)). Find:

A) The elongation of AC
B) The change of initial right angle BDA

9a65va.jpg

Homework Equations

A^2 + B^2 = C^2 for right triangle

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A --

Drawing the triangle OAC (in the plane X1-X2), we see that the initial angles CAO and ACO are 45 degrees, while COA is a right angle. The deformation at point A is AO(0.02) while the deformation at point C is CO(0.03). Since AO=CO, we can write the change as:

A'C' - AC = sqrt( (1.02AO)^2 + (1.03AO)^2 ) - sqrt ( 2 AO^2 ) = 0.0354 AO

Part B --

Here I am a bit stuck. It seems to me that it should still be a right angle, but this is probably not true. I know I should have to use the direction cosines for BD. Any advice or hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, I had some insight. So the reason its not a right angle anymore is because C' is farther away from C than A' is from A. (The midpoint of AC has moved closer to C!) Still kinda lost about how to use this information though.

I have decided a game plan:

Try to solve cos(theta) = dot(B'D', A'C') / |B'D'|*|A'C'|

I have solved for |A'C'| already. I think I can solve for |B'D'| without much difficulty. Then I need to determine the direction cosines for B'D' and A'C'. Finally, plug in and solve.

Still fishing for help. I'm particularly confused about how to solve for the direction cosines.

1. What is a strain tensor on a triangle?

A strain tensor on a triangle is a mathematical representation of the deformation and strain of a triangle-shaped object. It is used in engineering and physics to analyze and understand the mechanical behavior of materials under stress.

2. How is a strain tensor calculated on a triangle?

A strain tensor on a triangle is calculated using the displacement and distance measurements of the triangle's vertices. It is then represented as a matrix with six components, three for the normal strains and three for the shear strains.

3. What information does a strain tensor on a triangle provide?

A strain tensor on a triangle provides information about how much a triangle has deformed and stretched or compressed in different directions. It also gives insight into the internal forces and stresses within the triangle.

4. Can a strain tensor on a triangle be used for non-triangular shapes?

Yes, a strain tensor can be used for any shape, including non-triangular shapes. However, it is most commonly used for triangular shapes in engineering and physics due to the simplicity of calculations and the ability to accurately represent the deformation of planar structures.

5. What are the practical applications of a strain tensor on a triangle?

A strain tensor on a triangle has various practical applications, including analyzing the structural integrity of buildings and bridges, predicting material failure, and understanding the behavior of biological tissues and organs. It is also used in the development and testing of new materials and designs in industries such as aerospace and automotive engineering.