Strange formulation of Gauss' Theorem

In summary, the ordinary Gauss theorem relates the electric potential to the sum of all charges within a closed surface and the dielectric constant. A forum member asked if a different formulation of the theorem, involving a Gaussian integral, was equivalent and mathematically correct. Another member confirmed that it is correct and questioned the usefulness of this formulation. The first member explained that they encountered this formulation while writing a compendium on the Gaussian integral and its generalizations.
Ssnow
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Is this a complicated expression for the ordinary Gauss theorem for the flux of the electric field ?
Hi to all!
The ordinary Gauss theorem states that ##\Phi\left(\vec{E}\right)\,=\, \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n}q_{i}}{\varepsilon_{0}}## where ##\sum_{i=1}^{n}q_{i}## is the sum of all charges internal of a closed surface and ##\varepsilon_{0}## is the dielectric constant in the empty. Now I ask to the PF if this formula:

##\Phi\left(\vec{E}\right)\,=\, sign{\left(\sum_{i=1}^{n}q_{i}\right)}\cdot \left(\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{-\frac{\pi\varepsilon_{0}}{\left|\sum_{i=1}^{n}q_{i}\right|}y^2}dy\right)^2##

is equivalent to the previous and if it is mathematically correct.
Thank you!
Ssnow

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks good to me; the integral is called a Gaussian integral and if you evaluate it, you get the right answer. I'm wondering where you saw it formulated like this?

Likes Ssnow
And for what should it be good for?

Likes Ssnow
In fact it seems not very useful to write le Gauss theorem in this form...
the funny thing is that this formulation relates two result associated to the name of Gauss, respectively the Gauss theorem and the Gaussian integral ... :biggrin:
I encountered this formulation because I am writing a compendium on the Gaussian integral and its generalizations, so I think to put also this nice example ...
Ssnow

What is the Strange Formulation of Gauss' Theorem?

The Strange Formulation of Gauss' Theorem is an alternative way of stating Gauss' Theorem, which relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the vector field within the surface.

How is the Strange Formulation different from the traditional formulation?

The Strange Formulation uses a different notation and is expressed in terms of a surface integral rather than a volume integral. It also includes a term for the boundary of the surface, which is not present in the traditional formulation.

Why is the Strange Formulation useful?

The Strange Formulation can be useful for solving certain types of problems, such as those involving non-uniform vector fields or surfaces with holes. It can also provide a different perspective on the relationship between flux and divergence.

What are the limitations of the Strange Formulation?

The Strange Formulation may not be as intuitive as the traditional formulation for some people, and it may not be applicable to all types of problems. It also requires a good understanding of vector calculus to use effectively.

How can I learn more about the Strange Formulation of Gauss' Theorem?

There are many online resources and textbooks that explain the Strange Formulation in more detail. It may also be helpful to practice solving problems using both the traditional and Strange Formulations to better understand their similarities and differences.