Strange Integral Results: Is Something Wrong?

In summary, the person encountered a strange result when trying to integrate a large integral. The result always came out to be zero regardless of the values of w, h, L, P, S, and k. However, when testing with specific values, the result was not zero. They then asked for clarification on what could be wrong with their first input and mentioned receiving an explanation about the indefinite integral vanishing over the entire domain but having a positive result near the origin with narrow and symmetric limits of integration.
JBD
As shown in the image below, I tried to integrate a large integral. However, the result is strange. According to the result, the integral is always zero whatever the values of w, h, L, P, S and k. However, when I try to put some "test values", the result is not zero.

test values: P=1,w=1,h=0.1,L=1,S=0,k=0.2

This is not consistent with ouput 1. So what's wrong with my first input?

Codes:
Integrate[P/((Sqrt[y^2 + L^2 + z^2]) ((S - y)^2 + P^2 + z^2))Cos[k (Sqrt[y^2 + L^2 + z^2] +
Sqrt[(S - y)^2 + P^2 + z^2])], {y, -w/2, w/2}, {z, -h, h}]
NIntegrate[1/((Sqrt[y^2 + 1^2 + z^2]) ((0 - y)^2 + 1^2 + z^2))Cos[0.2 (Sqrt[y^2 + 1^2 + z^2] +
Sqrt[(0 - y)^2 + 1^2 + z^2])], {y, -0.5, 0.5}, {z, -0.1, 0.1}]
NIntegrate[Cos[0.4 Sqrt[1 + y^2 + z^2]]/(1 + y^2 + z^2)^(3/2), {y, -0.5, 0.5}, {z, -0.1, 0.1}]
Problem.JPG

Attachments

• Problem.JPG
    Problem.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
In the first integral, you probably have defined the values of k, S, P, w, L, and h earlier in your session. What were those values?

phyzguy said:
In the first integral, you probably have defined the values of k, S, P, w, L, and h earlier in your session. What were those values?
Thank you for commenting.
Someone already explained to me why the integral is zero. He showed me lots of graphs and it can be seen that the indefinite integral vanishes over the entire domain. However, near the origin, when the limits of integration are narrow and symmetric, the definite integral will be positive and not vanish.

1. What are strange integral results?

Strange integral results are results obtained from evaluating integrals that seem contradictory or unexpected based on common mathematical principles.

2. How common are strange integral results?

Strange integral results are relatively uncommon, as they usually occur in specific cases or with certain types of functions.

3. What could be causing these strange integral results?

There are a few possible explanations for strange integral results. One possibility is that there is an error in the calculation or integration method. Another possibility is that the integral is undefined or has a singularity at the given limits. Additionally, some functions may have complex behavior that leads to unexpected results.

4. Are these strange integral results a sign that something is wrong?

Not necessarily. While strange integral results may seem contradictory, they can often be explained by a deeper understanding of the function or integration method. However, if the results are consistently strange or unexpected, it may be worth re-evaluating the calculation or seeking a second opinion to ensure accuracy.

5. How can I avoid getting strange integral results?

To avoid strange integral results, it is important to carefully evaluate the function and limits before performing the integration. Additionally, double-checking the calculation and using alternative integration methods can help identify any potential errors or unexpected behavior.