Strange phenomena involving pinball display

In summary, the old pinball machine's display started malfunctioning and when I looked at it photographically, I was able to see words and numbers upside down and mirror image. I think the problem is with the display's I/O commands which are being passed through the bulbs in a cycle and causing the image to be displayed that way.
jbrussell93
I was playing my old pinball machine today when the display started to malfunction. After several minutes, the dot matrix display shows only a horizontal stripe as shown below.
IMG_20140108_202646.jpg

The interesting thing is that when I move my eyes vertically over the horizontal stripe on the display, I am able to see words as if the screen is working properly! As soon as my eyes stop moving, it collapses back into a single line. It is as if everything is contained within this stripe on the display and somehow moving my eyes over it separates it out. The other interesting thing is that if I move my eyes up, then the words are displayed upside-down and mirror image. If I move my eyes down then the image is right side up... so strange.

I was able photograph it by moving my camera across the display (ignore the multiple images) but it's difficult to see unless you zoom in. The second attached picture shows the words "free play" upside down and mirror imaged. [remember the display looked like image 1 in reality]
IMG_20140108_202717.jpg

The third image shows some numbers, again upside down and mirror image but a little more clearly than the previous image.
IMG_20140108_202629.jpg

I'm assuming this phenomena has something to do with the nature of the display itself. It is an old gas-plasma display but I know nothing of the specifics of the gas. I'm very interested in figuring out how this works. Does anyone have any ideas? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
It's probably a Multiplexed Display with a problem.

I think you are correct. After researching a bit more, the display is a 128x32 matrix where each of the 32 rows is refreshed one at a time starting from the top and working down. When working properly, they appear to be lit up all at once to the human eye due to the high refresh rate (~200hz).

I think what is happening is that all of the I/O commands for the entire display are being passed through the single row of bulbs in sort of a cycle. Therefore, when moving one's eyes over the display it is acting as a moving "shutter" capturing each of the individual lines and spreading them out over space. The brain is able to put this together as the image!
(This would also explain why moving one's eyes in the opposite direction causes the image to flip)

Fascinating :cool:

Last edited:

Related to Strange phenomena involving pinball display

1. What is the cause of flickering or flashing lights on a pinball display?

Flickering or flashing lights on a pinball display are typically caused by a faulty or loose connection in the wiring or circuitry of the display. It could also be a sign of a failing light bulb or LED, which may need to be replaced.

2. Why does the score on the pinball display sometimes freeze or show incorrect numbers?

This could be due to a malfunctioning display board or a glitch in the game's software. It is also possible that there is a loose connection or damaged component in the circuitry of the display. It is recommended to have a technician inspect and repair the display to fix this issue.

3. How does the pinball machine keep track of the score and other game information?

Pinball machines use a variety of sensors and switches to detect the movement of the ball and trigger corresponding events on the display. These sensors send signals to the game's electronic circuitry, which then calculates and updates the score and other game information on the display.

4. Is it normal for the pinball display to show dim or faded images?

No, it is not normal for the display to show dim or faded images. This could be a sign of a failing light source, such as a backlight or LED, or a problem with the display's power supply. It is recommended to have a technician inspect and potentially replace any damaged components.

5. What should I do if the pinball display stops working completely?

If the display stops working completely, it could be due to a power supply issue, a damaged display board, or a malfunctioning game. It is recommended to first check the power supply and connections, and if those are not the issue, have a technician inspect and potentially repair the display or game.