Strapped to a quadcopter in zero gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of flying a quadcopter in an enclosed space with no gravity, with a person strapped to it and using inertial forces and visual cues for control. The stability and control mechanics would be different from flying in a gravity environment and may require software adjustments. There is also a mention of the quadcopter potentially being more stable than a vectored jet pack.
bland
I was wondering... imagine a large enclosed space sealed off in intergalactic space, filled with air at normal sea level pressure. I was further wondering with regard to a quadcopter's symmetrical x and y-axis and the fact of the thrust vector always being normal to the plane of the props, that a person was securely strapped to this quadcopter and that it had a decent thrust to weight and was controlled by the pilot with a normal gimbal controller, with yaw and throttle and pitch and roll.

I was pondering that without any thrust it would just float around otherwise the person strapped to the body of the aircraft at the centre of gravity would feel the inertial force of acceleration and so would that pilot be able to fly around accurately merely by relying on the inertial forces they were feeling, assuming there were also plenty of visual cues in the 3 dimensional space in a gravity free zone.

Physics news on Phys.org
Will your quadcopter have adjustable pitch propellers? If so, over what range of adjustment angle? Why do I ask this? :wink:

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to fly in such a situation. The control would be very different from flying in gravity though, and the software controlling it would probably need to be rewritten.

Likes berkeman
It would all be very unstable and the rotors would need to be reversible or the pilot would need a 4pi range for the gimbal mount.
Could it possibly be more stable than a vectored jet pack?

Likes russ_watters

1. What is a quadcopter?

A quadcopter is a type of drone that is powered by four rotors and is capable of flying in multiple directions.

2. How does zero gravity affect a quadcopter?

In zero gravity, a quadcopter will be able to move in all directions without the influence of gravity. This allows for more precise and fluid movements.

3. How is a person strapped to a quadcopter in zero gravity?

A person can be strapped to a quadcopter in zero gravity using specialized harnesses and restraints. These are designed to keep the person securely attached to the quadcopter while still allowing for movement.

4. What are the potential risks of being strapped to a quadcopter in zero gravity?

The potential risks of being strapped to a quadcopter in zero gravity include motion sickness, disorientation, and injury from collisions or falls. It is important to have proper training and safety measures in place before attempting this activity.

5. What are the benefits of using a quadcopter in zero gravity for scientific research?

Using a quadcopter in zero gravity allows for easier access to hard-to-reach areas and the ability to collect data and samples in a weightless environment. It also allows for more precise and controlled movements, making it ideal for conducting experiments and observations in space.