Strategy for drawing equipotentials

This would give you three points for each curve, and four curves to draw.In summary, the potential $$V=-\frac{2GM}{3r}$$ is the only one that can be seen, with the midpoint of the two masses satisfying the equation. The most negative potentials will be closest to the surface of either planet, and the lowest potentials will be far away from the system. To sketch the equipotentials, one can identify the points where the curves cross the line of centres, giving three points for each curve and four curves to draw. Other possible strategies include noticing the second equipotential contains the middle point and the first equipotential consists of two loops within the 'dumbbell', or using a more
etotheipi
Homework Statement
Two equal masses M are separated by a distance of 6r. Sketch the following equipotentials: -10GM/3r, -2GM/3r, -GM/3r
Relevant Equations
$$V=-\frac{GM}{r}$$
The only one that I can see is for the potential $$V=-\frac{2GM}{3r}$$ since the midpoint of the two masses satisfies this equation. The only other useful inference I can make is that the most negative potentials closes to the surface of either planet, and the lowest potentials will be far away from the system.

What is the general technique you would use to do this question? One strategy I thought of was to notice the second equipotential contains the middle point, so the first equipotential actually consists of two loops within this 'dumbbell' and the second is entirely around the dumbbell equipotential. This isn't too rigorous, so I was wondering if there was a more systematic way of going about this? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
Homework Statement: Two equal masses M are separated by a distance of 6r. Sketch the following equipotentials: -10GM/3r, -2GM/3r, -GM/3r
Homework Equations: $$V=-\frac{GM}{r}$$

The only one that I can see is for the potential $$V=-\frac{2GM}{3r}$$ since the midpoint of the two masses satisfies this equation. The only other useful inference I can make is that the most negative potentials closes to the surface of either planet, and the lowest potentials will be far away from the system.

What is the general technique you would use to do this question? One strategy I thought of was to notice the second equipotential contains the middle point, so the first equipotential actually consists of two loops within this 'dumbbell' and the second is entirely around the dumbbell equipotential. This isn't too rigorous, so I was wondering if there was a more systematic way of going about this? Thanks
That looks like a good basis for a sketch. You could also identify the points where the curves cross the line of centres.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the purpose of drawing equipotentials in a strategy?

The purpose of drawing equipotentials is to visually represent the potential energy of a system. These lines show areas of equal potential and can help in understanding the flow of electric fields and the distribution of charges within a system.

2. How do you determine the direction of equipotential lines?

Equipotential lines always run perpendicular to electric field lines. This means that the direction of the lines can be determined by drawing a tangent line to the electric field lines at any given point.

3. Can equipotential lines cross each other?

No, equipotential lines cannot cross each other. If they did, it would mean that there are two different potentials at the same point, which is not possible.

4. How do you draw equipotential lines for a complex system?

Drawing equipotential lines for a complex system can be done by breaking it down into smaller, simpler sections. Then, using the principles of superposition, the equipotential lines for each section can be drawn and combined to show the overall potential of the system.

5. Why is it important to include equipotential lines in a strategy for electric fields?

Including equipotential lines in a strategy for electric fields is important because it allows for a better understanding of the distribution of potential energy in a system. This information can be useful in designing and optimizing systems, such as electrical circuits, to ensure efficient and safe operation.