Stream inside paraffin oil when exposed to high volage

In summary: Electrical and Mechanical Applications" from Megger as it has more information on types of oil, moisture content, etc.In summary, the experience was that two electrodes were placed inside a highly refined mineral oil and strong streams were observed inside the oil. It is unclear if the movement of the oil is due to impurities inside the oil or if there is something on the surface of one of the electrodes that is becoming ionised and is then pulled across the gap. If that were the case, the direction of flow would be from Anode to Cathode. The oil was new and clean and there were no bubbles nor any sort of sound produced. The moisture content was very low and a test was not possible because it would have required a
coquelicot
Here is the experience: I put two electrodes inside paraffin oil (separated by at least 3cm), and submitted the electrodes to high voltage. At 20000 V - 30000 V, strong streams can be observed inside the paraffin oil. Since paraffin oil is a good dielectric, I just would like to understand the mechanism that causes these streams.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean there is visible movement of the oil? Which direction?
What material are the electrodes made of and were they (and the paraffin) scrupulously clean? It sounds as if there is something on the surface of one of the electrodes that is becoming ionised and it's then pulled across the gap, causing a 'stream'. If that were the case, I suggest that the motion of the stream would be from Anode to Cathode and that 'large' positive ions are moving (?).
What do you think and have you searched for the effect elsewhere?

The electrodes are made of pure copper. I was searching nothing, but simply tried to isolate an electrical high voltage filter with paraffin oil, then I observed the phenomenon. Since, I have repeated the experience with pure copper electrodes and without circuit. I don't think the movement of the paraffin oil is due to impurities inside the oil (I think it is very clean, and the streams are too strong to be due to that). The question of the direction of flow is interesting (I simply observed movements inside the oil) and I will try to make a new experiment to answer this question (not sure I can do). Anyway, I am almost certain that the streams are due to electrostatic/electrodynamic forces but I ignore the underlying mechanism. Persons used with electrodynamics of fluids may already have the solution.
EDIT: I've repeated the experiment and there is no particular direction of flow. The paraffin oil is simply agitated, much like vortexes.

Last edited:
Where did this paraffin oil (which I take to mean a highly refined mineral oil) come from?
Was it developed specifically for use as a high voltage insulator?

Do small bubbles form on the electrodes? Does it produce any sort of sound?

I'm wondering about oil moisture content. Solubility is affected by temperature (even a water content as low as ~20 ppm condenses out at 0°C) but 30 ppm is a reasonable value for transformer oil in service. Perform a crackle test by heating a pan to 205°C, and slowly adding an oil sample drop-wise. It'll crackle if the oil contains too much moisture. The crackle test isn't a particularly good test (detection level varies from 100 ppm to 1000 ppm on up) so although it won't tell you if oil moisture level is OK, if it crackles, there's way too much water. Accurate, and lower ppm measurements require lab testing usually via the Karl Fisher titration method.

It is a high quality paraffin oil for food and medical purposes. It is new and clean. If it may not have been developed specifically for electrical purpose, it fulfils its aim as a very good insulator (breakdown voltage of 10000V per mm at least), as I could check. No bubbles nor any sort of sound are produced. I'm also certain that the moisture content is very low (if any).
Can someone try to repeat the experience (paraffin oil = mineral oil in US) ?

In US parlance 'mineral oil' is more often used. Don't know it makes much difference in general usage, but tends to avoid confusion when describing oils that are primarily paraffinic versus naphthenic (oils that have a lower faction of heavier, waxy chains). Mineral oils are a science unto themselves as there are thousands of ways to slice and dice crude oils into their constituent parts.

For example, CAS #8012-95-1 is a common food grade mineral oil which is heavier in paraffinic components than a typical light naphthenic transformer oil such as Conoco #76 (CAS #C125-30, 64742-53-6).

coquelicot said:
I'm also certain that the moisture content is very low (if any).
Unless you have run a test on a fresh sample there is no way of knowing, and it's not amenable to gut feelings. Mineral oils absorb atmospheric moisture - not very much, but it doesn't take much to mess with dielectric fluids. For instance, unused oil in sealed, full drums has been known to fail dielectric testing if stored in a location with significant daily temperature variations for a prolonged time due to moisture getting past bung seals as the drums expand and contract.

This graph is from "Understanding Water in Transformer Systems" by Lance Lewand of Doble Engineering, and uses the ASTM D1816 test protocol with a 0.04" (1mm) gap. As you can see, it doesn't take much dissolved water to appreciably depress dielectric breakdown voltage.
dielectric_breakdown.jpg

Even though the focus is on their test equipment line it's worth reading "The Megger(TM) Guide to Insulating Oil Dielectric Breakdown Testing" to gain a sense of how meticulous dielectric oil testing is.

As to your original question, it isn't something I've ever encountered, but the effect you've described may be related to phenomena described in abstracts on the IEEE website. These are behind a paywall, and I haven't been a member in years so didn't look any further, but you could dig around for other cites regarding electrohydrodynamic vortices.

"Ring vortices in point-plane gaps at sub-breakdown fields"
"The role of electrostatic and hydrodynamic forces in the negative-point breakdown of liquid dielectrics"
"Electric-Field Distortions at Solid-Liquid Dielectric Interfaces"

Attachments

• dielectric_breakdown.jpg
    dielectric_breakdown.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 488

1. What causes a stream inside paraffin oil when exposed to high voltage?

The stream inside paraffin oil is caused by the phenomenon of dielectric breakdown. When a high voltage is applied to the paraffin oil, the electric field becomes strong enough to ionize the molecules in the oil, creating a conductive path for electricity to flow through.

2. Is it dangerous to have a stream inside paraffin oil when exposed to high voltage?

It can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. The stream inside paraffin oil can generate heat and emit harmful fumes. It is important to handle high voltage experiments with caution and follow safety protocols to avoid any potential hazards.

3. Can the stream inside paraffin oil be controlled or directed?

Yes, the stream can be controlled and directed by manipulating the electric field with the use of electrodes. By adjusting the distance and placement of the electrodes, the stream inside paraffin oil can be guided in different directions.

4. Can different types of oil be used to create a stream when exposed to high voltage?

Yes, different types of oil can be used, but paraffin oil is the most commonly used due to its low cost and high dielectric strength. Other types of oil, such as mineral oil or silicone oil, can also generate a stream when exposed to high voltage, but may have different characteristics and behaviors.

5. What is the practical application of this phenomenon?

The stream inside paraffin oil when exposed to high voltage has several practical applications. It is commonly used in high voltage experiments and demonstrations, as well as in devices such as electrostatic precipitators and air purifiers. It can also be used in the production of high voltage capacitors and in the study of dielectric properties of different materials.