How to Choose the Right Materials for a Cost-Effective Compost Tumbler Design?

In summary, the gears can be made out of plastic, but the material must be strong enough to support the weight of the drum and the motor. The gear ratio is 1:2, and the maximum weight of the device when full is 100 lb. The supports and support plates are removable, and the consumer can easily store and assemble it.
Will_SPHS
Yesterday, I made a thread about creating gears in Inventor. I successfully created them, but now I have a few questions regarding material strength.

Background:

I am making an autonomously rotating compost tumbler for an engineering class. The design consists of a drum surrounding an axle. The drum is turned by a motor and gear system.
0voNJy3.png

3SQGrnT.png

VO5JNER.png

I need to determine the materials for the gear system, the support poles, the axle, and the triangular support plates. The drum is made out of HDPE. This product would theoretically be mass-produced, so I am looking to keep the material cost as low as possible. I have a spreadsheet with some material information here.

What material can the gears be made out of to keep costs as low as possible? I was thinking about some sort of plastic that can be injection molded, but I don't know how I would go about calculating gear teeth strength.

Should the supports, plates, and axle be made out of galvanized steel or aluminum? I would prefer to keep them all the same material. Galvanized steel is heavier and more expensive but also stronger, while aluminum offers more corrosion resistance. Either way, I need to be able to show calculations justifying my choice. I'm not sure how to calculate the strength since they are angled.

The maximum weight of the device when full shouldn't be more than 100 lb, but with OSHA safety factors, I would prefer to plan for at least 200 lb.

Other info:

The gears have a 1:2 gear ratio. The input torque from the motor (the blue cylinder in the third picture) is 7.8 lb*ft, and the maximum balancing torque of the drum is 8.35 lb*ft. The drum diameter is 1'.

The angle between the supports is around 45 degrees. I don't have the exact number with me right now.

Edit:
I did some calculations to get there to be 46 lb of compression force on each leg, and 39 lb of tension force on each support plate. The compost tumbler doesn't have the weight evenly distributed, but I just had each pair of supports/support plate with 100 lb of weight. I'm not sure if I did it right, but the numbers sound okay to me.
eUlJevb.png

Edit 2:

I am currently leaning towards:

6061-T6 Aluminum
Structural Pipe 3/4" SCH 40 (1.05 OD X .113W) 0.39

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(1)

That motor looks very small . Are you sure that it's really adequate for the duty required ?

If in any doubt post the data sheet and I'll have a look .

(2)

Your support structure looks ok in principle .

Perhaps consider making the legs removable for storage and transport purposes ?

The link to the thread where we calculated the maximum balancing torque of 8.35 lb*ft is here. The motor torque is 7.8 lb*ft at 2 rpm. When geared down at a 1:2 ratio, the output torque is 15.6 lb*ft at 1 rpm.

Also, the supports and support plates are removable so the consumer can easily store and assemble it.

It might be lower cost to replace the gears with belt & pulley or with chain & sprocket (bicycle chain, but that would be overkill).

What are "Strength Calculations"?

"Strength Calculations" are mathematical calculations used to determine the strength or structural integrity of a material or component. They are often used in engineering and construction to ensure that structures can withstand the expected loads and forces placed on them.

Why are strength calculations important?

Strength calculations are important because they help ensure the safety and reliability of structures. By accurately calculating the strength of materials and components, engineers can design structures that are able to withstand the expected loads and forces, preventing potential failures and accidents.

What factors are considered in strength calculations?

Several factors are taken into account in strength calculations, including the type of material, its physical properties, the expected loads and forces, and the design and geometry of the structure. Other factors, such as environmental conditions and potential hazards, may also be considered.

How are strength calculations performed?

Strength calculations are typically performed using mathematical formulas and equations, often with the aid of specialized software and tools. These calculations take into account the relevant factors and variables to determine the maximum load or force that a structure can withstand without failing.

What are some common types of strength calculations?

Some common types of strength calculations include tension and compression calculations, shear calculations, bending calculations, and torsion calculations. These calculations may be used to evaluate the strength of different types of structures, such as beams, columns, and connections between components.