Strength of Materials - Steel Beams

In summary, the conversation discusses the selection of a steel beam to support the floor of a house over a garage. The floor has a mass of 50 kg/m2 and a required live load of 1.5 kPa. The conversation also mentions the use of timber beams as an alternative to the steel beam. There is a request for resources and information on the relevant theory and examples for this question. Finally, the conversation mentions the need to consider allowable stresses, elasticity, and safety factors in calculating maximum bending moments and deflections.
physicx_1

Homework Statement

QUESTION 2 (Total 20 marks)

Figure 4 below shows a diagrammatic section of the floor of a typical house suspended over a garage. The steel beam shown in section spans 7.2 metres centre to centre of supports. The floor, including an allowance for the self weight of the beam, has a mass of 50 kg/m2 and the required live load is 1.5 kPa. Assume the beam is fully restrained against buckling.

(i) Based on the range of beams in the AISC tables attached to this paper, select the least weight steel beam that will meet the usual criteria for bending strength and movement. (18 marks)
(Note maximum deflection allowed is .003L where L is the span length)

(ii) Estimate the size of timber beam that could be used to replace the steel beam determined in part (i) above. (2 marks)

Homework Equations

Sorry, I have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea. If no one can show me the working, then can someone please link me to a good website / video / other resource that can teach me the theory and examples relevant to the question?

Our lecturer never uploads his lectures online, so its either you understand in class or you will be totally on your own.

Thanks very much.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/5582/capture1it.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gonna need figure 4.

Also, it's just a moment force type question.

Year 12 phys or 1st year structural eng?

You will need to know the allowable stresses and elasticity of the steel and timber being used, and then calculate maximum bending moments and deflections. I assume you have some notes on this and beam tables nearby that tabulate moment and deflections for beams subject to load. Don't forget safety factors.

thanks for your reply.

Oops, my bad. I now have uploaded "Figure 4".

This is a first-year university question.

PhanthomJay said:
You will need to know the allowable stresses and elasticity of the steel and timber being used, and then calculate maximum bending moments and deflections. I assume you have some notes on this and beam tables nearby that tabulate moment and deflections for beams subject to load. Don't forget safety factors.

thanks. this information is enlightening.

can you tell me the formula for it? (maximum bending stress and deflections)

1. What is the strength of steel beams?

The strength of steel beams varies depending on the type of steel and the design of the beam. However, most steel beams have a tensile strength of around 50,000 to 60,000 pounds per square inch (psi) and a yield strength of around 36,000 psi.

2. How are steel beams tested for strength?

Steel beams are typically tested using destructive testing methods such as tension tests, compression tests, and flexural tests. These tests involve applying a controlled amount of force to the beam until it breaks, allowing engineers to determine its strength and load-bearing capacity.

3. What factors affect the strength of steel beams?

The strength of steel beams can be affected by several factors, including the type and quality of steel used, the shape and size of the beam, and the design of the supporting structure. Other factors such as temperature, corrosion, and loading conditions can also impact the strength of steel beams.

4. How do engineers determine the appropriate size and type of steel beam for a specific project?

Engineers use mathematical calculations and computer simulations to determine the appropriate size and type of steel beam for a specific project. This involves considering the expected load, span, and other structural requirements to ensure the beam can safely support the weight and forces applied to it.

5. Can steel beams be reinforced to increase their strength?

Yes, steel beams can be reinforced using techniques such as adding additional steel plates or using composite materials to increase their strength and load-bearing capacity. However, these reinforcement methods must be carefully designed and implemented to ensure they do not compromise the overall structural integrity of the beam.