Stress exerted on a wooden cube dropped on concrete floor

In summary: If the ground is elastic, then the contact time is greater than 2 times the side of the cube divided by the speed of sound in the cube material.
ChessEnthusiast
I wonder if it is possible to at least estimate the stress (or the impact force) that the cube in question will experience due to the collision with the concrete floor. Assumptions:
1. The cube is dropped from height h
2. The cube is relatively small, thus we can neglect air resistance

[tex]\frac{\Delta p}{\Delta t} = F[/tex]
[tex]F = \frac{m \Delta v}{\Delta t}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta v = -\sqrt{2gh}[/tex]
[tex]F = \frac{-m\sqrt{2gh}}{\Delta t}[/tex]

Now, I do not have an idea how to find the distance of the collision. It seems that the only way would be to measure the deformation of concrete under the cube (I assume the cube does not bounce upwards).
Is there a way to estimate how long the collision will last?

Physics news on Phys.org
The concrete won't deform much but the wood might if dropped on a corner. Otherwise I think the only way to do it is to measure it.

We used to fit accelerometers to computers and drop them to test packaging.

Likes ChessEnthusiast
jim mcnamara,
Actually I already used impulse in the equations I wrote.
The only thing that is problematic is the time of the collision / the deformation of the ground.
I guess there is really no way to calculate it, it needs to be measured.

You could estimate a lower limit of the force...

For example if the corner of a 1kg cube was compressed say 5mm by a drop onto concrete from 3m you could use 5mm as an estimate for the stopping distance. That gives you a deceleration of >5880m/s2 (about 600g) and a force of 5880N.

Perhaps worth a look...

https://www.endevco.com/news/archivednews/2009/2009_02/tp321.pdf

Likes ChessEnthusiast
It is possible to model all this by treating the ground and the cube as elastic materials, and using solid deformation mechanics to calculate the deformation histories of the cube and the ground. This will also give you the time history of the contact force, the contact pressure distribution, and the time of contact. This kind of calculation is typically carried out using finite element method (FEM) software. If the ground is rigid, then the contact time is equal to 2 times the side of the cube divided by the speed of sound in the cube material.

Likes CWatters and ChessEnthusiast

Related to Stress exerted on a wooden cube dropped on concrete floor

1. What is the force of impact on a wooden cube dropped on a concrete floor?

The force of impact on a wooden cube dropped on a concrete floor depends on the height from which the cube is dropped, the mass of the cube, and the hardness of the concrete floor. The higher the drop height and the heavier the cube, the greater the force of impact.

2. Can the stress exerted on a wooden cube be calculated?

Yes, the stress exerted on a wooden cube can be calculated using the formula stress = force/area. The force in this case would be the force of impact on the cube and the area would be the surface area of the cube in contact with the concrete floor.

3. How does the type of wood used for the cube affect the stress exerted on it?

The type of wood used for the cube can affect the stress exerted on it because different types of wood have different densities and strengths. A denser and stronger wood will be able to withstand a higher force of impact and therefore have a lower stress exerted on it compared to a less dense and weaker wood.

4. Is the stress exerted on a wooden cube constant throughout its fall?

No, the stress exerted on a wooden cube is not constant throughout its fall. As the cube falls, the force of impact on it increases due to the acceleration of gravity. This results in an increase in stress on the cube until it reaches its maximum value upon impact with the concrete floor.

5. How does the angle at which the cube hits the concrete floor affect the stress exerted on it?

The angle at which the cube hits the concrete floor can affect the stress exerted on it. If the cube hits the floor at a flat angle, the force of impact will be distributed evenly across the surface area of the cube, resulting in a lower stress. However, if the cube hits the floor at an angle, the force of impact will be concentrated on a smaller surface area, resulting in a higher stress exerted on that area of the cube.