String attached to a massless ring in both ends

In summary, The conversation discusses finding the normal modes of a string with a massless ring attached to each end. It uses the general wave solution and Newton's second law to establish the contour conditions, obtaining an expression for k. The speaker expresses doubt about the correctness of the answer, but it is explained that it satisfies the boundary conditions. The conversation concludes by suggesting to Google "normal modes open pipe" for further clarification.
Javier Martin
First, sorry if there's grammar mistakes,english is not my native language.
1. Homework Statement

Find the normal modes of a string of length L with a massles ring ,free to move on the y-axis ,attached to each end.

Homework Equations

General wave solution: u(x,t)=A·e(kx-wt)i+B·e(-kx-wt)i
Newton second law: F=ma
k=w/v

The Attempt at a Solution

First I use Newton second law on each ring to entablish the contourn conditions, for x=0 and x=LFy=m·ay=T·sen(θ)=0 , which is 0 for being a massless ring
(θ is the angle the string forms at x=0 with the x axis)
for small values of θ we can take tanθ instead of sinθ, and since the definition of derivate is dy/dx=tanθ replacing above for y =u(x,t) and evaluated in x=0 we obtain
∂u/∂x (on x=0)=0 and the same for x=l

Now If we suppose a wave solution
u(x,t)=A·e(kx-wt)i+B·e(-kx-wt)i
and aply the CC I obtain
kn=n·π/l and u(x,t)=A·e-iwt·2cos(n·π·x/L)

My doubt is if this is a correct answer, since I obtain the same k for a string with both ends fixed. Also for n=1
u(0,t)=A and u(L,t)=-A which doesn't sound right to me for λ1=2·L/π

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Javier, :welcome:
Javier Martin said:
which doesn't sound right to me
Why not ? it satisfies the boundary conditions

Javier Martin said:
since I obtain the same k for a string with both ends fixed
Yes, only there you have a sine instead of a cosine. Google 'normal modes open pipe' and check a few pictures.

Got it now, thanks a lot

1. What is a string attached to a massless ring in both ends?

A string attached to a massless ring in both ends is a hypothetical scenario used in physics to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of systems. In this scenario, the string is assumed to have no mass and the ring is assumed to be perfectly circular and weightless.

2. How can a string have no mass?

In physics, a string is considered to have no mass if its mass is negligible compared to the other objects in the system. This assumption is often made in order to simplify calculations and focus on the behavior of the system as a whole.

3. What is the significance of using a massless ring in this scenario?

A massless ring is used in this scenario to represent a point of rotation or support. By assuming that the ring has no mass, we can ignore its weight and focus on the forces acting on the string and the object it is attached to.

4. How does this scenario apply to real-life situations?

This scenario is often used in theoretical physics to understand the behavior of systems such as pendulums, pulleys, and other objects that involve strings and rings. While it may not perfectly represent real-life situations, it can help us make predictions and understand the fundamental principles involved.

5. Can a string and a ring truly have no mass in real life?

In reality, all objects have some amount of mass. However, for the purpose of simplification and understanding of certain physical phenomena, the assumption of a massless string and ring can be made. In practical applications, the mass of the string and ring would be taken into account in calculations.