String constant of a folded and a cut up rubber

In summary, when building a slingshot with one piece of rubber attached to two hooks, the string constant would be 2k. If the rubber was cut in half to build two slings, each rubber would have a string constant of k. The spring constant for multiple rubbers can be found by summing the individual spring constants. The formula for spring constant is k = EA/L, where E is the elastic modulus, A is the cross sectional area, and L is the length of the rubber.
ChessEnthusiast
Imagine that we wanted to build a slingshot, using one piece of rubber attached to two hooks - each on a side.

We use a rubber, whose spring constant is k.

My questions are:

1. If we began to string that slingshot and the rubber would begin to fold, what would happen with the string constant? Would we need to consider this one rubber as two, separate rubbers with the string constant k?
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}kx^2 + \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

or consider it as one rubber, with string constant 2k
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}(2k)(x^2)[/tex]

2. If we were to cut the rubber in half and build two slings with the two rubbers we have just gotten, what would be the string constant of each of these rubbers?
k or k/2?

Could you attach some reference to your answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
ChessEnthusiast said:
Imagine that we wanted to build a slingshot, using one piece of rubber attached to two hooks - each on a side.

We use a rubber, whose spring constant is k.

My questions are:

1. If we began to string that slingshot and the rubber would begin to fold, what would happen with the string constant? Would we need to consider this one rubber as two, separate rubbers with the string constant k?
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}kx^2 + \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

or consider it as one rubber, with string constant 2k
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}(2k)(x^2)[/tex]

2. If we were to cut the rubber in half and build two slings with the two rubbers we have just gotten, what would be the string constant of each of these rubbers?
k or k/2?

Could you attach some reference to your answers?
What is your assessment?

Likes ChessEnthusiast
Chestermiller said:
What is your assessment?

Well, if we were to put an object into the sling, there would be two sources that exert a force F = kx, thus I would say that the first interpretation is more accurate.

ChessEnthusiast said:
Well, if we were to put an object into the sling, there would be two sources that exert a force F = kx, thus I would say that the first interpretation is more accurate.
The spring constant of a section of rubber is determined by ##k=EA/L##, where E is the elastic modulus of the rubber (a material constant), A is the cross sectional area (normal to the stretch direction), and L is the length of the piece of rubber. Does this help?

Likes ChessEnthusiast
Chestermiller said:
The spring constant of a section of rubber is determined by k=EA/Lk=EA/L, where E is the elastic modulus of the rubber (a material constant), A is the cross sectional area (normal to the stretch direction), and L is the length of the piece of rubber. Does this help?

Thank you. Your answer has dispelled my doubts about the second part of my question.

As of the first part, would it be more appreciate to analyze this situation as two rubbers of length 0.5L, or one rubber of length L?
The math will be the same, but the concept is way different.

$$K=k_1+k_2=\frac{EA}{0.5L}+\frac{EA}{0.5L}=4\frac{EA}{L}$$where K is the equivalent spring constant of the combination, and L is the total original length.

Likes ChessEnthusiast
Thank you.
Last question:
If we were to increase the number of rubbers, would this equation hold:
[tex] K = \sum_{i=1}^{n} k_i [/tex]

ChessEnthusiast said:
Thank you.
Last question:
If we were to increase the number of rubbers, would this equation hold:
[tex] K = \sum_{i=1}^{n} k_i [/tex]
Yes

Likes ChessEnthusiast

Related to String constant of a folded and a cut up rubber

1. What is the string constant of a folded rubber?

The string constant of a folded rubber is a physical property that represents the amount of force needed to stretch the rubber to a specific length. It is usually measured in units of force per unit of length, such as newtons per meter (N/m).

2. How is the string constant of a folded rubber determined?

The string constant of a folded rubber is determined by conducting a tensile test on the rubber. This involves stretching the rubber with a known force and measuring the resulting change in length. The string constant is then calculated by dividing the force applied by the change in length.

3. What factors can affect the string constant of a folded rubber?

The string constant of a folded rubber can be affected by several factors, including the type and quality of the rubber material, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and the presence of any additives or fillers in the rubber.

4. What is the significance of the string constant in rubber products?

The string constant is an important factor to consider in the design and manufacturing of rubber products. It helps determine the strength, elasticity, and overall performance of the rubber, as well as its ability to withstand stretching and other mechanical forces.

5. How does the string constant differ for a cut up rubber?

The string constant for a cut up rubber may differ from that of a folded rubber due to the change in the rubber's structure. When the rubber is cut, its molecular bonds are disrupted, which can affect its overall strength and elasticity. Additionally, the cut edges of the rubber may also have lower string constants compared to the rest of the material.