Strings attached to separate branes

• Thread starter Aqib
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strings
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of open strings in superstring theory and their attachment to multiple branes. The speaker also expresses their lack of understanding in the subject and asks for recommendations on where to start learning about it.
Aqib
Hello, I have only recently begun learning about superstring theory and I have a few queries. one of which is this.

Open string must have ther ends attached to a brane, I think I am right in saying that one end can be attached to one brane while the other to another separate brane. So in the brane world situation where our observable universe exists in a brane which is just one brane of many; imagine an open string (say one that describes a photon) having one end attached to our brane and then other end attached to another. Would this situation lead to something observable?

again i have little understanding of super string theory and virtually no mathemtical understanding of the theory so i don't even know if my question has much meaning.

I would also really appreciate if someone could point me towards some entry level material to learn from.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Leonard Susskind's career includes "The independent discovery of the string theory model of particle physics."

1. What are "Strings attached to separate branes"?

"Strings attached to separate branes" refer to a theory in string theory where strings, which are fundamental building blocks of the universe, are attached to different branes or membranes. These branes are hypothesized to exist in a higher-dimensional space than our familiar 3-dimensional space.

2. How are strings attached to separate branes?

According to string theory, strings can be attached to different branes through their endpoints. This means that the endpoints of a string can be attached to different branes, allowing the string to exist in multiple dimensions at once.

3. What is the significance of strings attached to separate branes?

The idea of strings attached to separate branes is significant because it provides a possible explanation for the existence of multiple dimensions beyond the 3 dimensions we experience. It also has implications for the nature of gravity and how it operates in these higher dimensions.

4. How does this theory relate to the concept of a multiverse?

Some scientists believe that the existence of strings attached to separate branes could support the concept of a multiverse, where there are multiple parallel universes coexisting with our own. This is because strings attached to different branes could potentially interact with each other, creating a bridge between different universes.

5. Is there any evidence for strings attached to separate branes?

At this point, there is no direct evidence for strings attached to separate branes. However, the theory is still being explored and studied by scientists, and it could potentially be supported by future experiments and observations. Additionally, the mathematical equations and principles of string theory provide support for the concept of strings attached to separate branes.