Strongest Evidence for Trapping Light in Schwarzschild Radius

In summary: like there is insufficient evidence to support the hypothesis that photons will never escape an event horizon.
greswd
The concept of that when a photon's trajectory intersects with the Schwarzschild Radius/event horizon, said photon will never exit the Schwarzschild Radius/event horizon.

Or any other object besides a photon for that matter.

So far what has been the strongest evidence for this prediction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
greswd said:
So far what has been the strongest evidence for this prediction?
There is none, as it is far from clear that that “prediction” is correct; if you were to say “flash of light” instead of “photon” you would be on much more solid ground. General relativity is a classical theory that works just fine with classical electromagnetic waves, but photons are a quantum mechanical phenomenon.

So let’s assume that you meant to say “flash of light” instead of “photon”, so that we have an interesting question. In that case the answer is still “none” because we have no direct observations of the behavior of light at an event horizon. However, we do have an enormous amount of observational evidence telling us that general relativity does work everywhere that we can see.
Thus, there are two possibilities:
1) General relativity works everywhere that we can see, and also works at event horizons even though we can’t observe what happens there.
2) General relativity is wrong. The correct theory is something else, something that agrees with general relativity everywhere that we can see, but that because of some as yet unknown physics operating through some as yet unknown mechanism, makes different predictions about what happens at the event horizon.
There’s no way of proving that #1 is right and #2 is wrong... but I know which way I’m betting.

Your question (“What is the strongest evidence for this prediction?”) is somewhat like asking Isaac Newton what evidence there is for his prediction that if tomorrow I drop an object it will fall to the ground. Either Newtonian gravity is correct and the object will fall when dropped, or some other theory that says dropped objects fall today but something else will happen tomorrow is correct. We can’t do the experiment today because it’s not tomorrow... but I know which way I’m betting, and you aren’t seriously going to take the other side of that bet.

• Informative
Likes Dale, greswd and PeterDonis
The Event Horizon Telescope image of M87* shows a dark spot at the centre of a brighter ring, which is consistent with a dark object at the center. Since the glow comes from gas heated by gravitational in fall, a conventional object at the core would also be glowing from the heat of matter accreting onto it. Something stops that happening.

That, of course, doesn't prove that light doesn't ever escape the event horizon (or even that an event horizon exists), just that there's something there that looks very like a Kerr black hole, supporting GR. And Nugatory's arguments about interpreting that apply.

Likes Dale, vanhees71 and greswd
Nugatory said:
There is none, as it is far from clear that that “prediction” is correct; if you were to say “flash of light” instead of “photon” you would be on much more solid ground. General relativity is a classical theory that works just fine with classical electromagnetic waves, but photons are a quantum mechanical phenomenon.

So let’s assume that you meant to say “flash of light” instead of “photon”, so that we have an interesting question.

so do you think the use of the term "photon sphere" should be discouraged?
Nugatory said:
In that case the answer is still “none” because we have no direct observations of the behavior of light at an event horizon. However, we do have an enormous amount of observational evidence telling us that general relativity does work everywhere that we can see.
Thus, there are two possibilities:
1) General relativity works everywhere that we can see, and also works at event horizons even though we can’t observe what happens there.
2) General relativity is wrong. The correct theory is something else, something that agrees with general relativity everywhere that we can see, but that because of some as yet unknown physics operating through some as yet unknown mechanism, makes different predictions about what happens at the event horizon.
There’s no way of proving that #1 is right and #2 is wrong... but I know which way I’m betting.

Your question (“What is the strongest evidence for this prediction?”) is somewhat like asking Isaac Newton what evidence there is for his prediction that if tomorrow I drop an object it will fall to the ground. Either Newtonian gravity is correct and the object will fall when dropped, or some other theory that says dropped objects fall today but something else will happen tomorrow is correct. We can’t do the experiment today because it’s not tomorrow... but I know which way I’m betting, and you aren’t seriously going to take the other side of that bet.

I think of it slightly differently than your today-tomorrow analogy.

I feel that its more like Newtonian gravity, the inverse-square law compared to General Relativity, and Galilean Relativity compared to Special Relativity.

Both classical models work well for many of our more easily observable, intuitive scenarios.

And, getting personal here, I do find the newer models quite radical. I'm the kind of person who would still be wowed by observing a spacecraft hit the speed of light barrier due to its relativistic mass, or an event horizon being able to exert an infinitely strong pull at a finite proximity. I guess you could say that i do seem like a neo-reactionary-leaning skeptic. though I'm not making any ill-informed assertions like a crank

Last edited:
greswd said:
so do you think the use of the term "photon sphere" should be discouraged?
Not particularly. Natural language is not a precision instrument, so any words we use are to going to be misleading one way or another. Precise and unambiguous descriptions come from the math, not the words we wrap around it.

pervect said:
A strong argument (there may be stronger arguments that I don't know about) for the existence of event horizons is given in https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0004-637X/701/2/1357 "The Event horizon of Saggitarius A".
This is the paper I was thinking of but didn’t post. Thanks for digging it up.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the Schwarzschild radius and why is it significant in trapping light?

The Schwarzschild radius is a measure of the size of the event horizon of a black hole, where the escape velocity is equal to the speed of light. This means that anything, including light, that crosses the event horizon will be trapped by the immense gravitational pull of the black hole.

2. How is light trapped in the Schwarzschild radius?

As light travels towards the event horizon of a black hole, it becomes increasingly redshifted due to the strong gravitational pull. At the event horizon, the light is infinitely redshifted, meaning it has an infinite wavelength and can no longer escape the black hole's gravitational pull.

3. What is the strongest evidence for trapping light in the Schwarzschild radius?

The strongest evidence for trapping light in the Schwarzschild radius comes from observing the gravitational lensing effect around black holes. This effect occurs when the intense gravitational pull of a black hole bends the path of light, making distant objects appear distorted or duplicated.

4. Can any other objects besides black holes trap light in their Schwarzschild radius?

Yes, any object with a high enough density can theoretically trap light in its Schwarzschild radius. However, black holes are the most commonly known objects with a Schwarzschild radius due to their extreme density and gravitational pull.

5. How does the trapping of light in the Schwarzschild radius support the theory of general relativity?

The trapping of light in the Schwarzschild radius is a direct consequence of the theory of general relativity, which explains the relationship between gravity and the curvature of spacetime. This phenomenon is a strong validation of Einstein's theory and has been observed in numerous astronomical observations.