Structural differences between W, WC, and W2C?

In summary: It would be interesting to see a more detailed analysis of the SEM images to see if there are any other tell tale signs of contamination.
Sputki
In my research group, I'm tasked with determining the purity of a tungsten sample sent from a supplier. Using FIB, we cut a 20 by 20 by 20 micron well into the sample and tested a wall of the well about 10 microns down from the surface.

After taking a spectrogram, there seemed to be a large amount of carbon, 66% W with 33% C by atomic percentage (tungsten carbide/tungsten semicarbide?)

Although we used 2 small strips of carbon tape to mount the sample (cylinder 2 cm tall 0.5 cm diameter), we don't think there should be that much carbon on the sample. I plan to do a simple density calculation to roughly determine purity tomorrow.

What is the next step in determining purity? Is there an obvious simple test I can perform (preferably without using expensive machinery first)? Is tungsten carbide a common contaminant of tungsten? Could this just be a small layer of WC on pure W?

This link is to the SEM and EDS images themselves http://imgur.com/a/qIwIL
(You're looking at a close up of the wall of the well)

Physics news on Phys.org
As a follow up, the tungsten cylinder was measured (rather crudely with a caliper but with a precise scale) to have a density of 22 g/cm^3, which (imho) is far from the supplier's guarantee that the sample was 99.9% pure W and as such would have an i(deal) density of 19.3 g/cm^3 at room temperature (which was calculated to be 19.5 g/cm^3 at 25 C).

Could the FIB work have this big effect on the sample (which had 1.2 cm hight with 0.3 cm diameter)? Could WC have formed on the surface?

Should I bring up the discrepancy with my PI? (again, actual FIB SEM work is in an imgur album in the original post).

Last edited:
Given that the density of tungsten cabide is lower than that of tungsten, and a density as high as 22 g/cm^3 is only reached by osmium and iridium, I have some doubts concerning the precision of you density determination.

1. What is the chemical formula for W, WC, and W2C?

The chemical formula for tungsten (W) is simply W. The chemical formula for tungsten carbide (WC) is WC, while the chemical formula for tungsten carbide (W2C) is W2C. The difference between the two forms of tungsten carbide lies in the ratio of tungsten to carbon atoms.

2. How do the structures of W, WC, and W2C differ?

W is a pure metal that has a body-centered cubic (BCC) crystal structure. WC has a hexagonal crystal structure, with each carbon atom bonded to two tungsten atoms in a linear arrangement. W2C has a cubic crystal structure, with each carbon atom bonded to four tungsten atoms in a tetrahedral arrangement.

3. What properties do the different structures of W, WC, and W2C give them?

The BCC structure of W gives it high strength and ductility, as well as good electrical and thermal conductivity. The hexagonal structure of WC gives it high hardness, wear resistance, and thermal stability. The cubic structure of W2C gives it high hardness and strength, as well as excellent high-temperature stability.

4. How are W, WC, and W2C used in different industries?

W is primarily used in the production of alloys, such as steel, due to its high melting point and strength. WC is commonly used in cutting tools, abrasives, and coatings for wear resistance. W2C is used in high-strength applications, such as rocket nozzles and turbine blades.

5. How are W, WC, and W2C synthesized?

W is typically extracted from its ore through a process of reduction and refining. WC is produced by reacting tungsten oxide with carbon in a high-temperature furnace. W2C is synthesized through a carburization process, where tungsten powder is heated in the presence of a carbon source, such as methane or acetylene.