Structural engineer - vehicle structures after civil degree?

In summary, the speaker is an engineering student with a focus on civil/structural engineering and an interest in both fixed and mobile structures. They are wondering if they can get a job designing vehicle structures after graduating with a degree in civil structures, and if mechanical engineering students would have an advantage over them. They mention that they will be studying finite element methods, which is also part of the mechanical engineering curriculum. They also express gratitude for any additional insights or information.
krikkits
Hi,
I'm an engineering student in Civil/Structural engineering and am interested in structures. As well as fixed structures I am also interested in mobile structures like ships.
Can I get a job designing vehicle structures after graduating from a degree focused on civil structures? Would the mech eng guys have a lot of leverage over me? I will be doing finite element methods as part of my civil, a unit shared with the mech majors.
Thanks for your shared wisdom.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

What is a Structural Engineer?

A Structural Engineer is a type of engineer who specializes in the analysis and design of structures, such as buildings, bridges, and vehicles. They use their knowledge of physics, materials, and mechanics to ensure that structures are safe, functional, and capable of withstanding various loads and forces.

What is the difference between a Civil Engineer and a Structural Engineer?

While both Civil Engineers and Structural Engineers work on the design and construction of buildings and other structures, the main difference is in their focus. Civil Engineers primarily work on the overall design and management of a project, while Structural Engineers specialize in the analysis and design of specific structural elements, such as beams, columns, and foundations.

What are vehicle structures?

Vehicle structures refer to the framework and body of a vehicle, including cars, trucks, buses, and trains. These structures are responsible for supporting the weight of the vehicle, as well as providing protection and stability during operation.

What does a Structural Engineer do for vehicle structures?

A Structural Engineer working on vehicle structures is responsible for ensuring that the design and construction of the vehicle is safe and meets all necessary regulations and standards. This includes analyzing and designing the structural elements of the vehicle, such as the frame, chassis, and body, to withstand various forces and loads.

What qualifications are required to become a Structural Engineer for vehicle structures?

To become a Structural Engineer for vehicle structures, one must typically have a degree in Civil Engineering or a related field, as well as specialized training and experience in vehicle structures. They may also need to obtain a professional engineering license in their state or country.