Structural query on removing a masonry wall and lintels

In summary, the conversation discusses a concern about the workmanship in removing a structural wall in a ground floor apartment. The new steel lintel supporting the masonry wall on the first floor has resulted in cracks and the brickwork is not in good shape. The architect suggests two solutions for the builder, but ultimately advises to consult with a licensed structural engineer for proper guidance. The thread is then closed.
Feebs
My sister recently removed a structural wall in her ground floor apartment and I am very concerned about the workmanship.

She trusted her builder to work out the size of the steel lintel which supports a masonry wall on the first floor above and above the first floor - is a standard pitched timber structure and slate roof.

The new opening/lintel spans about 3meters clear and extends over a masonry wall at either end by about 130mm.

I am an architect and was not involved in the work at all at the time and only now assessing it.

I have noted that there is a crack spanning from the each end of the steel lintel up to the ceiling away from the steel diagonally.

The brickwork supporting the steel lintel ends is victorian and not in good shape and also built onto thick timber joists.

There is no way the steel can extend further into the brickwork, and so I have come up with the following solutions for the builder:
1) reinforce or rebuild the existing masonry wall/column underneath the steel lintels to include a padstone at top
2) widen the masonry wall/column so that the steel has at least 150mm wide support at either end.

Would appreciate any advice on this!

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

As an architect, you know the potential physical and liability risks in this undertaking. For those reasons we can offer no advice but to contract with a licensed structural engineer in your area.

Thread closed.

Likes Bystander and berkeman

1. How do I determine if a masonry wall is load-bearing?

To determine if a masonry wall is load-bearing, you can consult building plans and blueprints or hire a structural engineer to assess the wall. You can also look for clues such as the location of the wall in relation to the rest of the structure, the presence of beams or columns resting on the wall, and the direction of floor or roof joists.

2. Can a masonry wall be removed without affecting the structural integrity of the building?

It depends on the specific building and its design. In some cases, a masonry wall may be non-load-bearing and can be safely removed. However, in most cases, a masonry wall is an important part of the building's structure and its removal can have a significant impact on structural integrity. It is important to consult a structural engineer before removing any masonry wall.

3. How are lintels installed when removing a masonry wall?

Lintels are typically installed by cutting into the brickwork above the opening where the wall will be removed. The lintel is then placed and secured in the opening, providing support for the structure above. It is important to follow proper installation techniques to ensure the structural integrity of the building.

4. What materials are commonly used for lintels?

The most common materials used for lintels are steel, concrete, and wood. Steel lintels are strong and durable, making them a popular choice for larger openings. Concrete lintels are often used for smaller openings and can be reinforced with steel for added strength. Wood lintels are typically used for smaller residential projects.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when removing a masonry wall and installing lintels?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when removing a masonry wall and installing lintels. These include wearing proper protective gear, using the correct tools and equipment, and following proper installation techniques. It is also important to have a structural engineer assess the project and provide guidance to ensure the safety and structural integrity of the building.