Television Wall Mounting - Torque Considerations

In summary: The steel will only support the weight of the television if it is in tension, so if you want to use the steel to support the tv in tension, then you need to add a bolt to the top of each piece of steel and a nut on the other side. If you want to use the steel to support the tv in compression, then you need to leave the bolt and nut out and just use the bolts to attach the wall bracket to the top of the steel.
ccny62
Hello!

I'm considering the purchase of a 100 pound LCD television. I anticipate mounting it with an articulating mounting system. The mounting system will allow the television to extend ~27 inches from the mounting wall (thereby creating a considerable torque load on the wall studs used). The mounting system requires anchoring it to 2 wall studs (2" X 4") approximately 16" apart. The wall mounting plate is only about 18" wide - to span 2 studs with a little horizontal location flexibility. The area I would like to use for the installation has only 2 wall studs available but they are approximately 24 inches apart.

I am considering:
1. bolting a couple of 1/2" thick steel rectangular pieces (maybe 4" tall) between the 2 wall studs
2.then mounting the system's wall bracket to the steel pieces through drilled holes using bolts and nuts or through threaded holes using only bolts

I really don't have any understanding of the torque implications of the above described mounting scheme as compared with the 'acceptable' torque situation in the 2 stud (16" apart) mounting.

Will the wall stud and steel bar system safely support the 100 pound television when it is 27 inches from the wall?

Do I gain anything by attaching one end of the wall mounting bracket through the steel pieces and into one of the wall studs?

Do I gain anything if I can also have the wall mounting bracked welded to the steel bars?

Any other options to safely overcome this problem installation?

I really don't want to pull the 2 wall studs through the wall board and maybe cause the wall (and maybe the house) to collapse. Less critical, but still highly unacceptable - I would't want the LCD television to come crashing to the floor. I don't think this would be covered by the manufacture's limited warranty.

In advance, thank you one and all for your suggestions.

Larry

Engineering news on Phys.org
Draw a picture (a free body diagram). The system is a truss and each member is either in compression or tension and it isn't difficult to analyze.

Hello Larry,

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your concerns about mounting a 100 pound LCD television on an articulating mounting system. It's great that you are considering the torque implications of your mounting scheme, as it is an important factor to consider for the safety and stability of your television.

Firstly, it is important to note that the weight of the television alone is not the only factor to consider when determining the torque load on the wall studs. The distance of the television from the wall, as well as the angle of the articulating arm, also play a significant role. In your case, with the television extending 27 inches from the wall, the torque load on the wall studs will be quite high.

Your proposed solution of using steel bars to span the 24-inch distance between the two wall studs is a good idea. This will distribute the weight of the television more evenly and reduce the torque load on each individual stud. However, it is important to ensure that the steel bars are securely anchored to the studs and that the mounting system is also securely attached to the steel bars. Using bolts and nuts or threaded holes should work well for this purpose.

Attaching one end of the wall mounting bracket to the steel bars and the other end to a wall stud will provide even more support and stability for the television. Welding the wall mounting bracket to the steel bars is also a good option, as it will create a strong and secure connection.

If possible, you may also want to consider installing a third wall stud in between the existing two studs to provide additional support for the television. This may involve some extra work and cost, but it will greatly increase the stability of the mounting system.

In summary, using steel bars and securely anchoring them to the wall studs, as well as attaching the wall mounting bracket to both the steel bars and a wall stud, should provide a safe and stable installation for your 100 pound television. Always make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions and recommendations for mounting the television, and if you are unsure about the safety or stability of your installation, it's always best to consult a professional.

Thank you for considering these torque considerations and taking the necessary precautions for a safe and secure television mounting. Best of luck with your installation!

1. What is the importance of considering torque when wall mounting a television?

Torque is an important factor to consider when wall mounting a television because it affects the stability and safety of the installation. The weight of the television and the force of gravity can create a torque that puts stress on the mount and the wall. Without proper consideration of torque, the television may not be securely mounted and could potentially fall, causing damage or injury.

2. How can I calculate the torque required for my specific television and wall mount?

To calculate the torque required for your television and wall mount, you will need to know the weight of the television and the distance from the center of the wall mount to the farthest edge of the television. The formula for torque is torque = force x distance. In this case, the force is the weight of the television and the distance is the distance from the center of the wall mount to the edge of the television. You can then use this value to ensure that your wall mount and installation can support the torque created by your television.

3. Are there any specific guidelines for torque considerations when wall mounting a television?

Yes, there are specific guidelines for torque considerations when wall mounting a television. The accepted standard is that the maximum torque should not exceed 150% of the weight of the television. This ensures that the mount and wall can support the weight and stress of the television. It is also recommended to evenly distribute the weight of the television on the mount to minimize torque and prevent strain on the mount and wall.

4. What are some common mistakes people make when considering torque for television wall mounting?

One common mistake people make is underestimating the weight of their television and not considering the torque it will create. This can lead to a poorly mounted television that may not be stable and secure. Another mistake is not properly distributing the weight of the television on the mount, which can increase torque and put unnecessary stress on the mount and wall. It is also important to use the correct size and type of wall mount for your specific television to ensure proper support and minimize torque.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when considering torque for television wall mounting?

Yes, there are several safety precautions you should take when considering torque for television wall mounting. First, always make sure to use a wall mount and installation method that can support the weight and torque of your specific television. It is also important to regularly check the stability of your wall mount and tighten any loose screws or bolts to prevent potential accidents. Additionally, it is recommended to have a professional install the wall mount and television to ensure proper torque considerations and a secure installation.