Struggling to find solution to 1D wave equation in the following form:

In summary: If you are able to write the equations in terms of the real and imaginary parts, it might be easier to see the similarities/differences.In summary, you should know a relationship between e^ix and trig functions of x.
Ibidy
Homework Statement
Seperate 1D wave equation into time dependent and indipendent form and show solution takes the following trig form.
Relevant Equations
1D wave equaiton
1625913517359.png

1625913530947.png

1625913541185.png

1625913551378.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You should know a relationship between ##e^{ix}## and trig functions of x.

haruspex said:
You should know a relationship between ##e^{ix}## and trig functions of x.
I tried using eulers identity but i just end up with a mess of complex and none complex trig functions rather than what they want.

You want a real value for [itex]T(t) = C_1e^{i\lambda ct} + C_2e^{-i\lambda ct}[/itex]. So [itex]C_1 = A + iB[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] must be complex conjugates. Try expanding [tex]
(A + iB)(\cos \lambda ct + i\sin \lambda ct) + (A - iB)(\cos \lambda ct - i\sin \lambda ct)[/tex] and see what you get.

Im not quite sure how or what you did but its closer to anything i was able to find.
1625918218900.png

Can i ask what you did?

In your solution in post #1, A, B, C and D can be complex, but you know that T and ##\phi## are real. That should allow you to establish some relationships between your constants.

Ibidy said:
I tried using eulers identity but i just end up with a mess of complex and none complex trig functions rather than what they want.
Perhaps your difficulty lies in writing the same symbols for constants that are different. Equation (15) is
##T(t)=A\sin(c\lambda t)+B\cos(c\lambda t).## You chose to write the general solution you derived as ##T(t)=Ae^{i\lambda ct}+Be^{-i\lambda ct}.## Why did you assign ##A## to the positive exponential and ##B## to the negative instead of the other way around? You could also have chosen linear combinations of ##A## and ##B## in front of each exponential and you would still have a solution. Constants ##A## and ##B## in equation (15) do not have the same meaning as your ##A## and ##B##. The same is also true for ##C## and ##D##.

If I were you, I would write my general solution as ##T(t)=A'e^{i\lambda ct}+B'e^{-i\lambda ct}## and then find a relation between the primed and unprimed constants. Start with equation (15) and observe that $$\cos \!x=\frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2}~;~~\sin \!x=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}=-i\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2}.$$Then gather like exponential terms. It's not that much of a mess.

You can avoid complex numbers altogether
if you recognize that sine and cosine are solutions
of the separated 2nd-order ordinary differential equations,
since they are [also] functions that are proportional to minus-their-second-derivative
(as verified by substitution).

Otherwise, as @kuruman has noted,
you will have to work with generally distinct complex coefficients
between the different forms of the general solution.

kuruman said:
Perhaps your difficulty lies in writing the same symbols for constants that are different.
I think it more likely that @Ibidy understands that the two sets of A, B, C, D are different, but has missed that in general they are complex. Without that, it is not possible to transmute the one set into the other.

Related to Struggling to find solution to 1D wave equation in the following form:

1. What is the 1D wave equation?

The 1D wave equation is a mathematical representation of a wave propagating in one dimension. It describes how the displacement of a wave varies with respect to time and space.

2. What does it mean to find a solution to the 1D wave equation?

Finding a solution to the 1D wave equation means determining the mathematical function that satisfies the equation and accurately describes the behavior of the wave in one dimension.

3. Why is it important to find a solution to the 1D wave equation?

Solving the 1D wave equation allows us to understand and predict the behavior of waves in various systems, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and acoustics.

4. What are the challenges in finding a solution to the 1D wave equation?

One of the main challenges in finding a solution to the 1D wave equation is the complexity of the equation itself. It involves partial derivatives and can be difficult to solve analytically. Additionally, boundary conditions and initial conditions must be considered, which can further complicate the solution process.

5. What methods can be used to find a solution to the 1D wave equation?

There are several methods that can be used to solve the 1D wave equation, including separation of variables, Fourier series, and numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods. The choice of method depends on the specific problem and the desired level of accuracy.