Struggling to Understand Causality in Input-Output Relationship

In summary, the speaker is struggling to understand causality in an input-output relationship. They are questioning how the output at any given time can be dependent on the past. Someone else mentions that the system is not causal, meaning it does not depend on the past. The speaker also brings up the idea of x=y in the present tense and x=∫y including the past.
cybernoodles
Hi All,

So I'm at the point where my brain is numb. I've been struggling for the past few hours trying to understand causality. Specifically, I have an input-output relationship y(t) = x(|t|). Determining if this is causal has been very difficult. Causal means that the output at any given time t is dependent on either the current input (present) or past input. So, if I plug in 5 to my output equation, I just get 5. How is that dependent on the past? I'm being told that this system is NOT causal, I.E. dependent on the past, which is really killing me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Consider the value of y when the parameter of y is negative. The value would be equal to the value of x with a positive parameter, which you may interpret as the output of the system depending on the future value of the system input.

x=y seems present tense.

x=∫y would include past?

1. What is causality in input-output relationship?

Causality in input-output relationship refers to the relationship between the input variables and the output variables in a system. It describes how changes in the input variables affect the output variables.

2. Why is it important to understand causality in input-output relationship?

Understanding causality in input-output relationship is important because it helps us to identify the factors that are responsible for changes in the output variables. This knowledge can be used to make informed decisions and improve the performance of the system.

3. What are some common methods used to determine causality in input-output relationship?

Some common methods used to determine causality in input-output relationship include correlation analysis, regression analysis, and experimental design. These methods help to identify the strength and direction of the relationship between the input and output variables.

4. What are some challenges in understanding causality in input-output relationship?

Some challenges in understanding causality in input-output relationship include the presence of confounding variables, non-linear relationships, and the possibility of reverse causality. These factors can make it difficult to establish a clear cause-and-effect relationship between the input and output variables.

5. How can causality in input-output relationship be applied in real-life situations?

Causality in input-output relationship can be applied in various fields such as economics, social sciences, and engineering. For example, understanding the causal relationship between marketing efforts and sales can help businesses make effective marketing strategies. In healthcare, causality can be used to determine the effectiveness of treatments by examining the relationship between the treatment and patient outcomes.