Struggling with a geometry puzzle - area of garden path

musicgold
Homework Statement
I am trying to find the area of the garden path described in the attached puzzle.
Relevant Equations
While I figured that the triangular piece at the left end can be moved to the right end to create a rectangle of 1 yard width, I am not able to determine two sides of the triangle.
Could you please help me understand why the answer picture says the length of the two sides of the triangle are 1.33 yard each?

Thanks

Attachments

• Puzzle.jpg
    Puzzle.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Answer.jpg
    Answer.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 21
Physics news on Phys.org
musicgold said:
Homework Statement: I am trying to find the area of the garden path described in the attached puzzle.
Relevant Equations: While I figured that the triangular piece at the left end can be moved to the right end to create a rectangle of 1 yard width, I am not able to determine two sides of the triangle.

picture says the length of the two sides of the triangle are 1.33 yard each?
They are not. The side is ##1 \frac 1 3## and the hypothenuse is ##1 \frac 2 3##.

Likes erobz
musicgold said:
Homework Statement: I am trying to find the area of the garden path described in the attached puzzle.
Relevant Equations: While I figured that the triangular piece at the left end can be moved to the right end to create a rectangle of 1 yard width, I am not able to determine two sides of the triangle.

Could you please help me understand why the answer picture says the length of the two sides of the triangle are 1.33 yard each?

Thanks
There are some issues in addition to the one noted by @Hill.

You haven’t posted the original question – only the official answer.

The official answer states that “The area of the garden path is 55 x 40 = 2200”. Presumably that’s a mistake and it is the whole garden (including path) that has an area of 2200 yd².

The official answer gives a formula for ##x##. But the formula is dimensionally incorrect: under the square root sign, ‘BCL’ has dimension [length]³ but the other terms have dimension [length]⁴.

The explanation given in the official answer is (to me anyway) very confused.

Maybe your best bet is to post the original question and some attempt.

The equation for x should read
##x=\frac{B^2\sqrt{B^2-C^2+L^2}-LBC}{B^2-C^2}##.
This gives ##66\frac 23## as desired.

Defining z as the length of L that borders the path, labelled ##1\frac 23##, and y as the length labelled ##1\frac 13##, we have similar triangles:
##\frac Bx=\frac Cz## and ##\frac{L-z}x=\frac yz##, whence ##LBC=B^2y+C^2x##.
And by Pythagoras, ##B^2+L^2=C^2+(x+y)^2##.
Eliminating y produces the desired equation.

The magic behind the rational solution is that the triangles left when the path is removed are 3:4:5, as are the two tiny triangles at the ends of the path.

Last edited:
Steve4Physics said:
There are some issues in addition to the one noted by @Hill.

You haven’t posted the original question – only the official answer.

The official answer states that “The area of the garden path is 55 x 40 = 2200”. Presumably that’s a mistake and it is the whole garden (including path) that has an area of 2200 yd².

The official answer gives a formula for ##x##. But the formula is dimensionally incorrect: under the square root sign, ‘BCL’ has dimension [length]³ but the other terms have dimension [length]⁴.

The explanation given in the official answer is (to me anyway) very confused.

Maybe your best bet is to post the original question and some attempt.
My apologies! I am adding the correct picture here.
I need to find the area of the garden path that runs diagonally across the garden.

My attempt: I assumed that the sides of the triangular piece at the bottom left of the path are: 1, 1, and sqrt 2 yards.
Area of the bottom right triangle = 40 x (55 - sqrt 2) / 2 = 1071.7 sq yds
Area of the top left triangle = 40 x (55 - sqrt 2) / 2 = 1071.7 sq yds
Area of the whole rectangle = 40 x 55 = 2200 sq yds
Area of the path = 2200 - 1071.7 - 1071.7 = 56.6 sq yards.

The official answer is 66.7 sq yards.

Also, I don't find my approach very elegant given the author's claim that the puzzle is easier than it looks.

Attachments

• Puzzle.jpg
    Puzzle.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 22
musicgold said:
I assumed that the sides of the triangular piece at the bottom left of the path are: 1, 1, and sqrt 2 yards.
This assumption is incorrect.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
musicgold said:
I assumed that the sides of the triangular piece at the bottom left of the path are: 1, 1, and sqrt 2 yards.
As already noted by @Hill, that's wrong and without justification. Note that the small triangles are not isosceles - this should be evident from the absence of ##45^o## angles.

@haruspex outlined a method in Post #4. Here's a step-by-step approach you might want to try if you are still stuck.
path.gif

All values in yards. We are told. PR =55, RT=40 and SQ=1.

Let ##x=##QT, ##y=##PS and ##z= ##PQ.

1) Apply Pythagoras to triangle QRT. Note that the 3 sides have lengths ##55-z, 40## and ##x##.
You now have an equation with 2 unknowns, ##x## and ##z##.

2) Prove that triangles PQS and QRT are similar.
(In fact these 2 triangles are both 3:4:5 triangles, but you can’t tell that at this stage.)

3) Since these triangles are similar, confirm that ##\frac z1 = \frac x{40}##.

4) You now have 2 equations for the two unknowns, ##x## and ##z##. Solve these. If you’ve done it correctly you should get ##x=66\frac23## and ##z=1\frac 23##.

5) Use Pythagoras, find ##y##.

6) You can now find the area of the path.

If you get stuck, post your working up to the sticking point.

Likes e_jane and Lnewqban
Steve4Physics said:
As already noted by @Hill, that's wrong and without justification. Note that the small triangles are not isosceles - this should be evident from the absence of ##45^o## angles.

@haruspex outlined a method in Post #4. Here's a step-by-step approach you might want to try if you are still stuck.
View attachment 337266
All values in yards. We are told. PR =55, RT=40 and SQ=1.

Let ##x=##QT, ##y=##PS and ##z= ##PQ.

1) Apply Pythagoras to triangle QRT. Note that the 3 sides have lengths ##55-z, 40## and ##x##.
You now have an equation with 2 unknowns, ##x## and ##z##.

2) Prove that triangles PQS and QRT are similar.
(In fact these 2 triangles are both 3:4:5 triangles, but you can’t tell that at this stage.)

3) Since these triangles are similar, confirm that ##\frac z1 = \frac x{40}##.

4) You now have 2 equations for the two unknowns, ##x## and ##z##. Solve these. If you’ve done it correctly you should get ##x=66\frac23## and ##z=1\frac 23##.

5) Use Pythagoras, find ##y##.

6) You can now find the area of the path.

If you get stuck, post your working up to the sticking point.
Thanks!

I have reached up to the following equations. Not sure how to get the neat ##z=1\frac 23## from here.

##1599z^2 = 4625 -110z ##
##z^2 +0.07z-2.89=0 ##

musicgold said:
Thanks!

I have reached up to the following equations. Not sure how to get the neat ##z=1\frac 23## from here.

##z^2 +0.07z-2.89=0 ##
It looks like ##z = \frac 5 3## solves that equation.

This problem is trickier than it looks in my opinion. The complexity comes in trying to express the length of the path as a function of the given width of the path and the dimensions of the garden. That's the equation given in the text, as corrected by @haruspex.

The area of the path is the length times the width. Hence:
$$Area = Cx = C\frac{B^2\sqrt{B^2-C^2+L^2}-LBC}{B^2-C^2}$$There is no need to calculate the other intermediate quantities. You just plug ##B, C, L## into that equation.

Likes e_jane and musicgold
musicgold said:
##z^2 +0.07z-2.89=0 ##
First equation is good. But note that dividing by ##1599## gives ##z^2 +0.068793z -2.8924 =0## (approximately).

In your second equation you rounded excessively. In particular, you rounded ##0.068793## to ##0.07##. You can’t expect to get a precise value for ##z## if you round so much in the middle of a calculation.

In any case, all rounding must be avoided if you want a fractional (exact) answer.

Your first equation for ##z## can be written in standard quadratic form: ##1599z^2 +110z - 4625=0 ##. You can then use ##z = \frac {-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 – 4ac}}{2a}## with ##a=1599## etc.

There’s some messy arithmetic, but try it!

Likes musicgold
i don't see how to simplify that horrible quadratic equation, but getting there, it is
"clear by inspection": that 40z = x = area of the path, using the height times base formula for a parallelogram, since either x or z can be considered as the base, and then the height is either 1 or 40. hence the entire solution is given in steve4physics step 4, post 7. i.e. area = x = 66 2/3.

Last edited:
Likes musicgold
Thank you all for helping me! 🙏

Likes e_jane and Steve4Physics

1. How do I calculate the area of a garden path?

To calculate the area of a garden path, you need to find the difference between the area of the larger shape (garden including the path) and the area of the smaller shape (just the garden without the path).

2. What information do I need to calculate the area of a garden path?

You will need the dimensions of the garden and the path. This includes the length and width of both the garden and the path.

3. Can you provide a step-by-step guide on how to solve a geometry puzzle involving the area of a garden path?

First, calculate the area of the larger shape (garden including the path). Then, calculate the area of the smaller shape (garden without the path). Finally, subtract the area of the smaller shape from the area of the larger shape to find the area of the garden path.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a geometry puzzle related to the area of a garden path?

Common mistakes include not considering the width of the path when calculating the area, using incorrect formulas for area calculation, and not converting units of measurement if necessary.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to quickly calculate the area of a garden path?

One trick is to break down the garden and path into simpler shapes (rectangles, squares, etc.) and calculate the area of each individual shape before adding them together. This can make the calculation process more manageable.