Stuck on a few Vector homework problems

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with understanding how to add and subtract vectors in homework problems. They are unsure if they are approaching the problem correctly and are also struggling with using the Right-Hand-Rule and calculating with respect to the Earth. They have provided a picture of their worksheet and work so far for reference.
PhantomDiclonius
Homework Statement
Write out the vectors A+B and A-B in terms of the unit vectors i and j. Show them on your coordinate system.

Use the Right-Hand-Rule to determine the direction of the following:

Determine Speed and Direction with respect to the Earth.
Relevant Equations
[(A)^2 + (B)^2]

ArcTan = (Y/X)

ixj, ixk, jxk, ixi
I'm stuck on a few Vector homework problems. I don't quite understand how to write vectors A+B and A-B for questions 1b and 2b. I tried starting with calculating the magnitude for vector A+B on question 1b and then followed by finding theta, but I'm not sure if that's what I'm supposed to do.

I'm also completely flabbergasted by problem 4 where I'm supposed to use the Right-Hand-Rule to the direction of vectors such as i x i, how am I supposed to determine the direction if the vectors have no values?

Lastly, I'm pretty lost with question 5. I thought I did 5a correctly, but the part that asks "with respect to the Earth" makes me feel uneasy. I don't understand how to calculate something with respect to the Earth, I just tried calculating the barge in comparison to the river speed the best that I could.

Sorry, this is my first week in Physics and I'm feeling pretty lost, any help would be greatly appreciated, here's a pic of the worksheet and my work so far, thank you for your time:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.
PhantomDiclonius said:
I'm stuck on a few Vector homework problems. I don't quite understand how to write vectors A+B and A-B for questions 1b and 2b. I tried starting with calculating the magnitude for vector A+B on question 1b and then followed by finding theta, but I'm not sure if that's what I'm supposed to do.
Let's take these questions one at a time. Please show us your work adding the components of the first vectors, then we can go on to your other questions. Thanks.

1. Why can't I solve these vector homework problems?

Vector problems can be tricky and require a solid understanding of mathematical concepts. Make sure to review the fundamentals of vectors and practice solving similar problems before attempting your homework.

2. How can I approach these vector problems more efficiently?

One helpful approach is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Identify what information is given and what you are trying to solve for, and then apply the appropriate formulas and techniques.

3. What resources can I use to improve my understanding of vectors?

There are many online resources available, such as Khan Academy, that offer comprehensive lessons and practice problems on vectors. You can also consult your textbook or seek help from a tutor or classmate.

4. What common mistakes should I avoid when solving vector problems?

One common mistake is mixing up the order of vector operations. Remember to follow the correct order of operations (scalar multiplication, vector addition/subtraction, and dot/cross product) to avoid errors. Additionally, be careful when converting between polar and Cartesian coordinates.

5. How can I check my answers for these vector problems?

You can use an online calculator or program, such as Wolfram Alpha, to check your answers. Another helpful method is to plug your calculated values back into the original equations to see if they satisfy all given conditions. Remember to also check for units and significant figures, if applicable.