Stuck on Question A? Get Help Here!

• Thread starter Zararuth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the steel tyre is not stretched beyond its elastic limit when it has cooled to air temperature. The hoop will have a residual tensile strain of 1.4%.
Zararuth
Homework Statement
8. A steel tyre is heated and slipped on to a wheel of radius 40 cm, which it fits exactly at a temperature of  oC.
(a) What is the maximum value of  if the tyre is not to be stretched beyond its elastic limit when it has cooled to air temperature (17 0C)? (Coefficient of linear expansion of steel = 0.000 012 oC-1)
(b) What will then be the tension in the tyre, assu¬ming it to be 4 cm wide and 3 mm thick?
The elastic limit for steel occurs at a tension of 2.75 x 108 Pa. The wheel may be assumed to be at air temperature throughout and to be incompressible.
Relevant Equations
/
8580DE9D-E819-46CF-A8C7-28E52417D50D.jpeg

Hi,

I have been trying to solve question A for a while now but keep getting stuck. Would anyone know what to do after this? My teacher told me that maybe I should try using the elastic limit (in part b) but normally if I had needed it, it would have been in the first part of the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zararuth said:
if I had needed it, it would have been in the first part of the question.
From the layout I would say it is not "in" either part, but is general information to be used as necessary in either.

Likes DEvens and Zararuth
Part b seems trivial, the tension equals the elastic limit, unless they're looking for a force rather than a stress - or unless some part of the question you may not have quoted specifies a "safety factor". I don't think you can answer part a without knowing the Young's modulus - perhaps that too is given somewhere.

Likes Zararuth
Zararuth said:
Homework Statement: 8. A steel tyre is heated and slipped on to a wheel of radius 40 cm, which it fits exactly at a temperature of  oC.
(a) What is the maximum value of  if the tyre is not to be stretched beyond its elastic limit when it has cooled to air temperature (17 0C)? (Coefficient of linear expansion of steel = 0.000 012 oC-1)
(b) What will then be the tension in the tyre, assu¬ming it to be 4 cm wide and 3 mm thick?
The elastic limit for steel occurs at a tension of 2.75 x 108 Pa. The wheel may be assumed to be at air temperature throughout and to be incompressible.
Homework Equations: /

View attachment 252869
Hi,

I have been trying to solve question A for a while now but keep getting stuck. Would anyone know what to do after this? My teacher told me that maybe I should try using the elastic limit (in part b) but normally if I had needed it, it would have been in the first part of the question.
You calculated the circumference at temperature ##\theta## incorrectly. It should be $$c=2\pi (20)(1+\alpha(\theta-17))$$where ##\alpha## is the linear coefficient of thermal expansion. What is the linear strain, relative to the stain-free length at 17 C? What is the residual tensile strain after the hoop of steel cools in place back to 17 C?

Likes Zararuth

What is "Stuck on Question A? Get Help Here!"?

"Stuck on Question A? Get Help Here!" is a platform that provides assistance to individuals who are struggling with a specific question or problem in their scientific research or experiments.

How does "Stuck on Question A? Get Help Here!" work?

Users can submit their question or problem on the platform and receive help from a community of scientists and experts. The answers and solutions provided are based on scientific principles and methodologies.

Who can use "Stuck on Question A? Get Help Here!"?

Anyone who is conducting scientific research or experiments can use "Stuck on Question A? Get Help Here!" to get assistance with a specific question or problem they are facing.

What types of questions or problems can be submitted on "Stuck on Question A? Get Help Here!"?

"Stuck on Question A? Get Help Here!" caters to a wide range of scientific disciplines and topics. Users can submit questions related to biology, chemistry, physics, environmental science, and many more.

Is there a fee for using "Stuck on Question A? Get Help Here!"?

No, "Stuck on Question A? Get Help Here!" is a free platform for users to seek and provide scientific assistance. However, users can choose to donate to the platform to support its growth and development.