Students' Complaint Gets Prof Fired

• Thread starter gleem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    students
In summary, the NYU administration not renewing this professor's contract may have been due to the students' complaints about his grading and his lack of availability.
erobz said:
The average life expectancy of males in the US is 74.

What does this have to do with an individual?

erobz said:
What age do professors usually retire?

Any time they wish. It is against fed law to mandate a retirement age for them.

erobz said:
Work till you die if you want, but don’t tell me being that age doesn’t slow you down. I’ve had professors in the 70s, they were less than energetic, and that is a problem.

Yes, why not if they are physically and mentally able.

So why is being less than energetic a problem? Perhaps they must sing and dance for their students too?

Likes russ_watters, hutchphd, BillTre and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
gleem said:
Yes, why not if they are physically and mentally able.

So why is being less than energetic a problem? Perhaps they must sing and dance for their students too?
I personally experienced the opposite of this NYU professor. The professor of my Power and Machinery Course was well past his time. Was he nice...yeah. Was he energetic...no. Was he able...sure. He sat there and read slides directly from the book the entire class for a semester. Never once worked a problem the entire semester. The tests were absolutely trivial (no problems-he literally would answer the test questions if you asked during the exam - it was the Twilight Zone), easiest ##A## I ever had, and no one learned a darn thing...that is a fact. This was a class we were taking (most of us) in our final year as ME's. It was an important class, and it was a complete waste of time.

Is that fair to paying students? Do you honestly think that most student truly care that they were just being handed a grade? I got news for you, they don't...so that tired old professor just keeps on robbing people of the chance to learn, because they won't just call it quits.

What I think had happened (in parallel to his age) is the university had pressured him to go easier on us over the years. By the time I had got there he just had completely given up.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
gleem said:
.So why is being less than energetic a problem? Perhaps they must sing and dance for their students too?
. If that's what the school demands, maybe? This is the generation of tik tok. The requirements for teaching have changed, as sad as that may make you and I feel.

Likes russ_watters and fresh_42
Office_Shredder said:
If that's what the school demands, maybe? This is the generation of tik tok. The requirements for teaching have changed, as sad as that may make you and I feel.

Yeah, that's what I am afraid is happening. But I hope the good schools will not. Remember, the "Safe zones" students wanted when they were too stressed to deal with controversial issues. While some relented and did so others said "no way" we promote free discussions of such issues.

erobz said:
What I think . . .
What I think is that one case proves nothing and should not be the basis of your prognostication on the effect or correlation of age on the in-class performance of another teacher even if cognitive decline is correlated with age.

erobz said:
This was a class we were taking (most of us) in our final year as ME's. It was an important class, and it was a complete waste of time
In my experience, easy or hard classes for that matter classes are known by students well in advance. Did student complain though.

Likes russ_watters
gleem said:
In my experience, easy or hard classes for that matter classes are known by students well in advance. Did student complain though.
Power and Machinery was not supposed to be easy, and it was not an elective for ME's. Of course they didn't complain, why would they? Everyone who simply showed up got A's and B's without doing a stitch of work. The phrase "Never look a gift horse in the mouth" comes to mind.

Imagine if we went to the administration complaining that we all got A's, and didn't have to do any work! :oldlaugh:

Likes russ_watters
erobz said:
Imagine if we went to the administration complaining that we all got A's, and didn't have to do any work! :oldlaugh:
Imagine.
I Imagine the dean would have listened to you. Or the departmant chair. Or your advisor. Better to shut up than consider the larger picture?

hutchphd said:
Imagine.
I Imagine the dean would have listened to you. Or the departmant chair. Or your advisor. Better to shut up than consider the larger picture?
As a student, even an adult one you don't have much free time to consider the bigger picture with 18 credits to contend with. Did I think it was wrong at the time, sure. But was I going to "be the bad guy" make more work for myself and everyone else...no, we were all stressed as it was. Everyone at that point is just trying to graduate and get a job.

I don't know if it was purely his age that was the problem, or if it was just because of his age that he did not want to play the administrative games anymore (Perhaps he just lashed out by giving the university what it wanted - going easy on us - to a fault). Either way, we didn't get what we paid for in that lecture. I don't see how you can turn this around on me. I was just treading water then, another book on my head and I might have drowned myself.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
DaveC426913 said:
It's behind a passwall so I can't read it, but:

I did not interpret the students' comment "...[scores] are not an accurate reflection of the time and effort put into this class" as meaning what you thought, to-wit: "given credit for [their] time and effort".

i.e. It seems like you're closely coupling effort > score.

I think they're saying their time and effort lead to excellent results, which were not reflected in their scores.

i.e.: effort > results > score.
not sure if it's considered ok to comment after a whole year, but I would suggest you sir to install ublock origin and turn off Javascript by clicking on the extension and clicking on </> option in that extension.

I know you won't be interested in the same article even now, but yeah, I just felt like mentioning this trick for your future use

erobz said:
Another thing to consider. People don't like jumping through hoops. Is O-Chem a necessity or a weed killer... What percentage of practicing medical doctors use the full exploration of Organic Chemistry daily to perform their job?
Drugs are almost entirely about organic chemistry.

Likes russ_watters
erobz said:
It’s just my opinion. The average life expectancy of males in the US is 74. What age do professors usually retire? Work till you die if you want, but don’t tell me being that age doesn’t slow you down. I’ve had professors in the 70s, they were less than energetic... and that is a problem.

On the other hand, I sat in on a course elementary topology with Dennis Sullivan who was in his 70's and students and professional mathematicians alike flocked to listen to him lecture. It sounds like this Chemistry Professor was of similar caliber and probably would have inspired a genuinely interested student.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to compare this professor's course with other Organic Chemistry courses in his department. On the surface it seems like he demanded less from his students than what he would have liked. So what did the other Organic Chemistry courses require? Even less? Or were the students given a pass?