Study materials for Investment Portfolio Manager position?

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's preparation for an upcoming 3 hour online test for a potential job at an investment management firm. The subjects covered in the test include a brokerage firm case study, Excel, data proofing, and logic. The individual feels confident in self-studying for Excel and logic, but is unsure about how to prepare for the brokerage firm case study and data proofing sections. They plan to read case studies and search for resources on data cleaning. They also mention concerns about balancing their preparation with their current jobs.
jasontodd
I recently got my B.S. in Physics and began applying to various entry-level analytical jobs. An investment management firm is going to give me a 3 hour test online. The subjects are as follows:

Brokerage Firm Case Study
Excel
Data Proofing
Logic

I feel comfortable self studying vlook ups and pivot tables in excel and going over brain teasers for the logic section but I am completely lost on what materials I should study for Brokerage Firm Case Study and Data Proofing. The only thing I can think of is to read a ton of case studies and try to understand the goals/methods used. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have two weeks to prepare and work a full time sales job and part time bar job so I'm also wondering if this is a realistic goal.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the data proofing, I would do a search for data cleaning on the web and then create and memorize a list of typical data issues to look for. When working with data you're familiar with, most of data cleaning is pretty intuitive, but having a system can help you handle data you're unfamiliar with in a more systematic way.

Can't help much with the brokerage firm case study, but those problems often boil down to a combination of finance (e.g. TVM) and basic math (e.g. probability). Have you looked on the web for some sample problems?

1. What qualifications are required for an Investment Portfolio Manager position?

To become an Investment Portfolio Manager, you typically need to have a bachelor's or master's degree in finance, economics, accounting, or a related field. You also need to have relevant work experience in the finance industry, such as working as a financial analyst or investment analyst. Most employers also prefer candidates who have obtained certifications such as Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA).

2. What skills are necessary for an Investment Portfolio Manager?

An Investment Portfolio Manager needs strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as excellent financial and mathematical abilities. They should also have a good understanding of financial and investment principles, as well as knowledge of various investment vehicles and strategies. Other important skills include communication, decision-making, and time management.

3. What types of study materials are available for preparation?

There are various study materials available for preparing for an Investment Portfolio Manager position. These include textbooks, online courses, practice exams, study guides, and flashcards. You can also attend workshops or seminars, read financial news and articles, and participate in investment simulations to gain practical experience.

4. How can I improve my chances of getting hired as an Investment Portfolio Manager?

To improve your chances of getting hired, you should focus on gaining relevant work experience and obtaining relevant certifications. You can also network with professionals in the industry and attend career fairs to expand your connections. Additionally, it is important to continuously update your knowledge and skills through self-study and attending workshops or seminars.

5. What is the job outlook for Investment Portfolio Managers?

The job outlook for Investment Portfolio Managers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 5% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This growth is due to the increasing demand for investment services and the growing complexity of financial markets. However, competition for these positions is expected to be high, so it is important to have a strong educational background and relevant experience to stand out as a candidate.