Study of effects of temperature on steel drilling performance

In summary, the difference in speed between a cool drill bit and a hot drill bit is due to the bit becoming dull quickly.
pitchblack00
When drilling a thick peace of steel I noticed the drill bit would cut through much faster when it was cool. The difference was minutes versus seconds! Is this a known phenomena in machining or was my drill bit simply contaminated with something or maybe other factors played a role? I've heard of temperature having detrimental effect on tool life, but not on actual cutting time. Is there a detailed study someone could point me to that relates cutting (i.e. performance) and temperature of the tool? The way I understand it is that when tool heats up it becomes softer, so it's ability to cut is reduces.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most of the heat is generated in the shear zone of the steel being drilled, so is independent of the drill bit temperature. If the drill bit gets too hot, it gets dull instantly. A dull drill cuts much slower than a sharp drill. The most common reason for drill bits getting dull fast is too high a cutting speed. A high speed steel drill bit (most twist drills are high speed steel) run at 50 ft/min peripheral speed will drill many holes in normal steel without needing sharpening. For a 1/2" diameter twist drill, this is 380 RPM. If you run that same bit at 100 ft/min, it will dull quickly.

Here's a good discussion of heat generated in metal cutting: http://www.nitc.ac.in/dept/me/jagadeesha/mev303/chapter6.pdf. Figure 2 is identical to a figure in Fundamentals of Machining and Machine Tools, Second Edition, by Boothroyd and Knight. Note the temperature of the chip. A cool bit will not stay cool very long when in intimate contact with the hot chip. And a dull bit will make hotter chips.

Likes pitchblack00 and berkeman

What is the purpose of studying the effects of temperature on steel drilling performance?

The purpose of this study is to understand how temperature impacts the performance of steel drilling, which can help engineers and manufacturers optimize the drilling process for different temperature conditions.

How is the study conducted?

This study is typically conducted by subjecting steel samples to different temperatures and then measuring the drilling performance, such as drilling speed and tool wear. The data is then analyzed to determine the relationship between temperature and drilling performance.

What are the potential impacts of temperature on steel drilling performance?

Temperature can affect the mechanical properties of steel, such as its strength and hardness, which can in turn affect its drilling performance. Higher temperatures can also cause thermal expansion and affect the fit of the drill bit, leading to decreased performance.

What are the applications of this study?

The findings of this study can be applied to various industries that rely on steel drilling, such as construction, manufacturing, and oil and gas. It can also help in the development of new drilling techniques and materials that can better withstand different temperature conditions.

What are the limitations of this study?

Some limitations of this study may include the use of small sample sizes and controlled laboratory conditions, which may not fully reflect real-world drilling scenarios. Additionally, other factors such as the type of steel and drilling equipment used may also impact the results.