Study with or without music?

Study with music?

• Total voters
robotkid786
Is it better to study with or without music?

Science news on Phys.org
That's a hard "No" from me; it's too distracting. Why would you want to be distracted from concentrating on your studying and work? If you're doing something really easy, then sure, music or talk radio can be fun. But when I need to 100% focus on something technical, I don't want any distractions.

• Love
Likes Math100, symbolipoint, Tom.G and 1 other person
berkeman said:
That's a hard "No" from me; it's too distracting. Why would you want to be distracted from concentrating on your studying and work? If you're doing something really easy, then sure, music or talk radio can be fun. But when I need to 100% focus on something technical, I don't want any distractions.
I agree, I can't get myself to work with music. Hella distracting. It's enjoyable. But not the same enjoyable as solving a problem which can only be done when in peace

Likes Math100 and symbolipoint
IIRC, my brother could only study with music playing. I could only study without...

Perhaps relevant, I was happy for my beloved wife to play tapes / CDs in car for 'routine' driving. But, if road became 'busy' and my work-load increased, either I'd shift the stereo signal to her side, effectively muting mine, or shut it off completely.

Must also be said that when I began to hum, she learned to halt the music system and watch the road for 'Hostiles' in full 'co-pilot' mode. Also, the one time we found ourselves on a busy motorway (UK=Freeway) in a furious down-pour with severe spray, scant visibility, all lights on, 'Due Care' speed etc etc, and I began to sing, --In key !!-- she hitched her seat belt tighter, drew elbows, knees and feet close, per first stage of air-liner 'Crash Position'...

YMMV...

• Wow
Likes symbolipoint
No. If you don't play or really love music then you may get away with it.
I absolutely could not do it, I still cannot work with music in the office.
We have a small radio but it's low and faces away from my door. I walked past it Friday then explained why "Toxic" by Britney Spears is a great track to the team.
It's a 60s track, should be. The groove, the chromatic on the chorus. C B7 to Bb7...
Then I tried to remember why I had left my office.

Good music is a fantastic thing AND a distraction. Bad music is an annoying distraction.
Neither good for study.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, PhDeezNutz, symbolipoint and 3 others
Answer should vary among different people.
For me it varies with the particular situation.
When I was an undergrad in rowdy dorm at an almost party school (in the 1970s) I would put on loud music to drown out all the other noise. If it was music I was familiar with (less distracting) this would work well. My grades were quite good at this time.
For me its an aide in blocking out distractions.

In quieter situations, I would use less loud or no music.

Likes robotkid786 and pinball1970
These answers are helpful. I've been feeling guilty that I use music in my downtime to cheer myself on and then don't use music when studying. Which means a lot of my time is spent with music and a lot less is spent without music playing. But as far as study efficency goes. It's making sense this approach is working.

I've also got say. I've noticed, I only study when I feel good and ready. I never force myself to study. This further adds tot be guilt that I'm not studying but makes the study so much more enjoyable and accomplished feeling when I finally do study

robotkid786 said:
I've also got say. I've noticed, I only study when I feel good and ready. I never force myself to study. This further adds tot be guilt that I'm not studying but makes the study so much more enjoyable and accomplished feeling when I finally do study
My approach was to study on a schedule.
Once you are used to your schedule, it should be easier to study in a good mood.

Likes robotkid786
robotkid786 said:
Is it better to study with or without music?
It really depends on the person/individual. Everyone is different. For me, I cannot study with music, mainly because I get distracted very easily, since my blood type is O.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Math100 said:
... I get distracted very easily, since my blood type is O.
🤔

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, BillTre and Math100
Math100 said:
It really depends on the person/individual. Everyone is different. For me, I cannot study with music, mainly because I get distracted very easily, since my blood type is O.

I'm assuming this is a reference to Type O Negative (the band)

in which case \m/

Unless there is some link between blood type O and attention problems that I don't know about.

For those who don't know

Well dammit, i tried embedding two different videos and they both require you to watch it on youtube

Likes Math100
Two words:

Everybody Polka!

Study to that? You betcha!

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, Math100, berkeman and 1 other person
Math100 said:
For me, I cannot study with music, mainly because I get distracted very easily, since my blood type is O.
The full medical term is "blood type O Noes". Just to be technical... :wink:

• Haha
Likes Math100
Music playing...

1. Does listening to music while studying improve performance?

Whether music improves study performance depends on the individual and the type of music. Some studies suggest that music, especially classical or instrumental, can improve concentration and memory. However, for tasks requiring deeper cognitive processing, music with lyrics or high intensity can be distracting. It varies widely among individuals.

2. What type of music is best for studying?

Instrumental or classical music is often recommended for studying because it is less likely to be distracting. Music without lyrics tends to enhance concentration and focus, particularly music with a slow to moderate tempo. Some people also find ambient or nature sounds helpful.

3. Can music help to reduce stress while studying?

Yes, music can be very effective in reducing stress. Soothing types of music, like classical or acoustic, can help lower cortisol levels, which reduces stress. Listening to favorite music can also release dopamine, which increases feelings of happiness and decreases anxiety.

4. How does music affect concentration?

Music's effect on concentration can be either positive or negative, depending on the person and the type of music. Background music can enhance performance on cognitive tasks by improving mood and providing a consistent auditory environment. However, for some, especially those with attention disorders, music can be a distraction that decreases performance.

5. Should music be played loudly or softly while studying?

It is generally recommended to play music softly while studying. Loud music can be distracting and can potentially hinder cognitive performance by overwhelming the brain with sensory input. Soft music can create a conducive learning environment by blocking out more distracting noises.