Sturm-Liouville Question on Orthogonality

In summary, using theory I was able to solve for Xm and Xn, but was unable to take the integral to see that their integrated product was 0. I was also confused by the multiple instances of integration by parts.
royblaze

Homework Statement

For the following diff. eqns (fcns of t)

X''m + λmXm=0
Xm (1)=0
X'm=0

X''n + λnXn=0
Xn (1)=0
X'n=0

Show that ∫XmXndt from 0 to 1 equals 0 for m≠n.

Homework Equations

Qualitative differential equations... no idea really what to put in this section.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using theory I am able to prove that the λ term must be positive in order to have non-trivial solutions. Using this, I am able to obtain explicit solutions for Xm and Xn respectively. However, when I attempt to take the integral I immediately am lost in how to show that their integrated product is 0.

My solutions are in this general form for both Xm and Xn, where C2 is some non-zero constant (to avoid trivial cases):

X = Cw*cos([((∏/2)+k∏)^2]x) for k = 0, 1, 2, ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot see how your solutions satisfy the boundary conditions.

multiply the 1st eqn by Xn and second by Xm and then subtract .take the integral from 0 to 1 of the resulting expression and you will get
(X'mXn - X'nXm )01=(λm-λn)∫XmXn dt
if m≠n then λm≠λn
and the left side is zero because of boundary condition and the required result follows.(may be some +,- error is there but that does not matter)

Voko, I used the characteristic equation of the differential equation, and using Euler's formula as the general form of the homogenous equation, I solved three different cases based on the sign of λ. The negative and zero case for λ gives trivial solutions of X = 0. Only the positive case gives valuable solutions where the constant that arises is understood to be nontrivial (we say that the constant is non-zero).

This causes the trigonometric term to be the only term that can be zero. Solving for λ, we would obtain the periodic coefficient in front of the t in the cos term.

Was this the correct approach?

Andrien, thank you for your response, I will try it tomorrow (it is 4:20AM right now) and report back with my results.

The approach is generally correct. However, the result is not. Just evaluate your solution at x = 0 and x = 1. You must have made a mistake along the way.

andrien said:
multiply the 1st eqn by Xn and second by Xm and then subtract .take the integral from 0 to 1 of the resulting expression and you will get
(X'mXn - X'nXm )01=(λm-λn)∫XmXn dt
if m≠n then λm≠λn
and the left side is zero because of boundary condition and the required result follows.(may be some +,- error is there but that does not matter)

Andrien, perhaps you can assist in my integration? I am a little confused. My sum (after subtraction as you suggested):

XnX"m + λmXmXn - XmX"n - λnXnXm

I tried to integrate term by term but I am getting very confused by the multiple instances of integration by parts. When can I stop integrating by parts? Or am I just missing a step that can be simplified with the Fundamental Thm of Calculus...?

XnX"m- XmX"n=d/dt(XnX'm - XmX'n), which you can easily verify.then just integrate with respect to t and since this term is pure derivative it will come out with limits as I have written above and then it is all easy.

Thanks, I managed to get it :D

Related to Sturm-Liouville Question on Orthogonality

1. What is the Sturm-Liouville Question on Orthogonality?

The Sturm-Liouville Question on Orthogonality is a mathematical problem that involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of a Sturm-Liouville operator, which is a type of differential operator. This problem is important in many areas of mathematics, including differential equations, spectral theory, and orthogonal functions.

2. Why is the Sturm-Liouville Question on Orthogonality important?

The Sturm-Liouville Question on Orthogonality is important because it provides a way to solve many different types of differential equations. It also allows for the construction of orthogonal functions, which are widely used in mathematical analysis and have applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. How is the Sturm-Liouville Question on Orthogonality solved?

The Sturm-Liouville Question on Orthogonality is typically solved using techniques from eigenvalue problems, such as separation of variables and the method of Frobenius. These methods involve finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the Sturm-Liouville operator, which can then be used to solve the original problem.

4. What are some applications of the Sturm-Liouville Question on Orthogonality?

The Sturm-Liouville Question on Orthogonality has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve boundary value problems, to construct orthogonal functions for use in Fourier series and other mathematical tools, and to study the behavior of waves and other physical phenomena.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the Sturm-Liouville Question on Orthogonality?

Yes, the Sturm-Liouville Question on Orthogonality has many real-world applications. For example, it is used to model the vibrations of a violin string, the temperature distribution in a metal rod, and the behavior of electromagnetic waves in a waveguide. It is also used in the study of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles in a potential well.