Sub $100 Low minimum High Voltage DC probe (3kV minimum)?

In summary, the person is looking for a high voltage probe for their research project that can measure voltages up to 3.0kV. Their current DVM can only measure up to 1kV and they are looking for a solution under $100. They also mention the possibility of using a DMM with data logging capabilities. They provide a link to a potential solution, a high-voltage probe listed at $65.
13Nike
Hi I'm looking for a suitable high voltage prob for my research project. I'm in contact with voltages that can have transient spikes as high as 3.0kV but my DVM only measures up to 1kV and 97% of the time I am under this range. I bought this and it was perfect the only problem is that it has a range on 1kV to 40kV. Does anybody have a solution or know of any sub $100 probes that can measure from 0V to (3kV - 10kv). Or does anybody know a DMM that can reach 1.5kV w/ data logging capabilities?

Engineering news on Phys.org
13Nike said:
Hi I'm looking for a suitable high voltage prob for my research project. I'm in contact with voltages that can have transient spikes as high as 3.0kV but my DVM only measures up to 1kV and 97% of the time I am under this range. I bought this and it was perfect the only problem is that it has a range on 1kV to 40kV. Does anybody have a solution or know of any sub $100 probes that can measure from 0V to (3kV - 10kv). Or does anybody know a DMM that can reach 1.5kV w/ data logging capabilities?
Can you just use a high-voltage probe with a standard logging DMM? This probe is listed at $65 or so...

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/b...tm?ref=gbase&gclid=CNbczJGupc0CFYqPfgod9GMNlg
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/bk-precision/images/pr28a.jpg
pr28a.jpg

What is the purpose of a Sub $100 Low Minimum High Voltage DC probe?

A Sub $100 Low Minimum High Voltage DC probe is a specialized tool used by scientists to measure high voltage levels, typically above 3kV. It is used to safely and accurately measure high voltage levels in various scientific and industrial applications.

What are the key features of a Sub $100 Low Minimum High Voltage DC probe?

The key features of a Sub $100 Low Minimum High Voltage DC probe include a low minimum voltage capability of 3kV, a compact and lightweight design, and a low cost. It may also have additional features such as adjustable gain, high accuracy, and low input capacitance.

What types of measurements can be made using a Sub $100 Low Minimum High Voltage DC probe?

A Sub $100 Low Minimum High Voltage DC probe can be used to measure DC voltages, as well as AC voltages with a suitable AC-DC converter. It can also measure current by using a shunt resistor or a current transformer.

How is a Sub $100 Low Minimum High Voltage DC probe different from other probes?

A Sub $100 Low Minimum High Voltage DC probe is specifically designed for measuring high voltage levels, whereas other probes may have a lower voltage range. It also has a lower cost compared to other high voltage probes, making it more accessible to scientists on a budget.

What precautions should be taken when using a Sub $100 Low Minimum High Voltage DC probe?

When using a Sub $100 Low Minimum High Voltage DC probe, it is important to follow safety procedures and guidelines. This includes using proper personal protective equipment, ensuring the probe is properly connected and grounded, and avoiding contact with high voltage sources. It is also important to regularly calibrate the probe to maintain accuracy.

Back