Sub-bass pattern effects @ 30-70 Hz

• Thread starter Nelson Cruz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Effects
In summary, the conversation revolved around the effects of sub-bass in the 30-70hz range and the patterns it produces, as well as the physical distance a single sub-bass wave would cover. It was mentioned that the patterns would depend on the room shape and properties, and that sub-bass can exhibit differently in different parts of a room due to interference patterns and absorption rates. The conversation also touched on the potential effects of sub-bass on the body.
Nelson Cruz
I'm working on some paintings about the effects of sub-bass in the 30-70hz range.
I've been trying, without success, to find info online about the likely pattern effects it could produce, say in water or sand, or anything that its wave patterns would show up in. Any clues anyone?

Also, bearing in mind that I have pretty much zilch physics knowledge, I also realized that I don't have a clue about how to work out what physical distance a single sub-bass wave would cover, Any simple hints on how to do that would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh and also, although this should probably go into the biology forum, what happens when the waves hit the body, how are the waves affected.

The patterns will depend heavily on the room shape and properties, so there's nothing really specific that can be said about that. As for the wavelength, the speed of sound at normal conditions is around 1100 feet per second, so a 30Hz wave will have a wavelength of around 36 feet. A 70Hz wave will be more like 16 feet. Because of this long wavelength, the patterns that would show up (if you had a sufficiently loud wave) would only really manifest in large areas.

Thanks for that.

I guess that explains why some parts of a room exhibit more sub-bass than others then, not just related to distance from the speakers, because of interference patterns and different absorbstion rates??

Nelson Cruz said:
Thanks for that.

I guess that explains why some parts of a room exhibit more sub-bass than others then, not just related to distance from the speakers, because of interference patterns and different absorbstion rates??

Yes that's right. Also floors, walls, and ceilings may resonate.

Related to Sub-bass pattern effects @ 30-70 Hz

1. What is a sub-bass pattern?

A sub-bass pattern is a low frequency sound wave typically between 30-70 Hz that is often used in music production to create a deep, rich, and powerful bass sound.

2. How does a sub-bass pattern affect music?

A sub-bass pattern can greatly enhance the overall sound and impact of a song by adding depth and resonance to the bassline. It can also create a sense of movement and energy in the music.

3. What are the effects of sub-bass patterns on the human body?

Sub-bass patterns can physically affect the human body by causing vibrations in the chest and abdomen, which can be felt as a thumping or pulsating sensation. This can also lead to a sense of excitement or anticipation in the listener.

4. How do sub-bass patterns differ from other bass frequencies?

Sub-bass patterns are lower in frequency than other bass frequencies, such as mid-bass or high-bass. They are also typically felt more than heard, as the human ear is less sensitive to low frequencies.

5. Are there any potential negative effects of sub-bass patterns?

While sub-bass patterns can greatly enhance a song, they can also be harmful if played at extremely high volumes. Prolonged exposure to high levels of sub-bass can cause hearing damage and other health issues. It is important to listen to music at safe levels and take breaks when necessary.