Submarine volcanic vents and pumice rafts....

In summary: It's weird that something like this could exist but I haven't been able to find any evidence to back that up.
Nik_2213
How deep can a submarine volcanic vent be and still generate a significant pumice raft ?

Sadly, Wiki is a stub, and most of the relevant literature is pay-walled.

As I understand it, deep vents may generate a lot of pumice, but it never reaches the surface, just stays on the vent's flanks. The famous mega-rafting in 'South Pacific' came from a transient volcanic island, clearly visible on the bemused yachties' photos. Unlike Surtsey, it didn't endure...

Would a kilometre-submerged rifting event, eg in Canary chain, produce significant, persistent rafting ??

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Here's a Wired article on them but I don't think it answers your question:

The paper that the Wired article references does:

Rapid, Long-Distance Dispersal by Pumice Rafting
Scott E. Bryan , Alex G. Cook, Jason P. Evans, Kerry Hebden, Lucy Hurrey, Peter Colls, John S. Jell, Dion Weatherley, Jennifer Firn
Published: July 18, 2012

The main eruption appears to have been driven principally by magmatic explosivity, with hot pumice and ash largely excluded from the shallow water column by the erupting jet. Airborne cooling of the pumice in the eruption column was therefore important to cool pumice to form the floating pumice raft as experimental studies have shown hot pumice rapidly ingests water, becomes negatively buoyant and sinks.

I've never heard of "pumice" being associated with deep sea vents.
But I'm not a geologist, so that doesn't mean much.

@davenn and @billiards , have you ever heard of such a thing?

OmCheeto said:
I've never heard of "pumice" being associated with deep sea vents.

no, nor have I. From all I have so far read, the pumice isn't formed unless the eruption breaches the ocean surface

The paper that the Wired article references does:

Rapid, Long-Distance Dispersal by Pumice Rafting
Scott E. Bryan , Alex G. Cook, Jason P. Evans, Kerry Hebden, Lucy Hurrey, Peter Colls, John S. Jell, Dion Weatherley, Jennifer Firn
Published: July 18, 2012

The main eruption appears to have been driven principally by magmatic explosivity, with hot pumice and ash largely excluded from the shallow water column by the erupting jet. Airborne cooling of the pumice in the eruption column was therefore important to cool pumice to form the floating pumice raft as experimental studies have shown hot pumice rapidly ingests water, becomes negatively buoyant and sinks.

The publication date of that article made me do a double take and reread of the contents ... the research in that article was referring to eruptions in ~ 2006 in the Tongan Isl. region.
That publication date happens to correspond to a more massive eruption 1000km or so further south in the southern Kermadec Isl. region that was very much deeper undersea and produced large pumice rafts. The approximate depth to the top of the Havre Seamount is around 1100m. The eruption was not initially reported and it was only the pumice rafts, observed by several aircraft crossing the area on the 20th July, 2012, that has scientists going back over prior days satellite images to find the eruption imagery. They also found corresponding seismograms of some 157 events that were centred around the Havre Seamount.

From everything I have so far been able to find, this is the deepest undersea eruption that has produced pumice. BUT the main point being that the eruption was large enough to breach the ocean surface and produce pumice.

I haven't found any publication, so far, that suggests that pumice can be produced below sea level in the absence of an atmosphere.
I would be interesting to see if anything can be found to confirm or deny that :smile:Dave

Likes OmCheeto
davenn said:
... The approximate depth to the top of the Havre Seamount is around 1100m.
Wow! I didn't see that number in my research. This kind of reminds me of the numbers from the "Gulf Spill" back in 2010.

This means that the gas is 400 times the volume of oil being collected.
[ref: PF, younger Om]

Things sure get weird when you move things from a high pressure area to a lower one.

The eruption was not initially reported and it was only the pumice rafts, observed by several aircraft crossing the area on the 20th July, 2012, that has scientists going back over prior days satellite images to find the eruption imagery. They also found corresponding seismograms of some 157 events that were centred around the Havre Seamount.

From everything I have so far been able to find, this is the deepest undersea eruption that has produced pumice. BUT the main point being that the eruption was large enough to breach the ocean surface and produce pumice.

I haven't found any publication, so far, that suggests that pumice can be produced below sea level in the absence of an atmosphere.
I would be interesting to see if anything can be found to confirm or deny that :smile:

Dave

Fun topic.

I just found this article:
Havre Seamount
October 2012 cruise confirms Havre as pumice source. On 26 October 2012 the New Zealand National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research’s (NIWA) Research Vessel Tangaroa mapped Havre submarine volcano. NIWA ocean geology scientist Joshu Mountjoy announced finding a new volcanic cone which has formed on the edge of the volcano, towering 240 m above the crater rim that was first mapped in 2002 (Wright and others, 2006). The 2012 Havre eruption was strong enough to breach the ocean surface from a depth of more than 700 m by producing an ash plume, thermal alert, and a pumice raft that covered an area of 22,000 km2, all visible by satellite.

Sounds like a homework problem from hell.

Last edited:
Likes davenn
Here's the abstract that piqued my curiosity...
http://geology.gsapubs.org/content/38/5/391.abstract
Paywalled, of course

My understanding of the erudite comments and linked articles in this thread suggest that, for significant pumice rafting, you'd need either a volcanic island, however transitory, or a submerged eruption that sent something resembling a pyroclastic flow all the way to the surface. The former is photogenic provided you can keep engine intakes clear. The latter is surely a 'Be Not There' event...

Fortunately, this is not a homework question. I began wondering about the first indications if the hypothesised embryonic subduction zone off Gibraltar 'went live'...
http://geology.gsapubs.org/content/early/2013/06/05/G34100.1.full.pdf+html
Paywalled, of course, of course...

1. What are submarine volcanic vents?

Submarine volcanic vents are openings in the ocean floor where molten lava, gases, and rocks from Earth's mantle are released into the ocean. These vents are found at mid-ocean ridges, where tectonic plates separate, and at submarine volcanoes.

2. How are pumice rafts formed?

Pumice rafts are formed when large quantities of pumice, a lightweight volcanic rock, are released into the ocean. This can happen through underwater volcanic eruptions or when pumice is carried by ocean currents from land-based eruptions.

3. What role do submarine volcanic vents play in the formation of pumice rafts?

Submarine volcanic vents play a crucial role in the formation of pumice rafts. These vents release large amounts of gas and molten lava, which solidify into pumice when they come into contact with the cold ocean water. This pumice is then carried by ocean currents, forming pumice rafts.

4. Do pumice rafts have any impact on marine life?

Pumice rafts can have both positive and negative impacts on marine life. While they can provide a substrate for marine organisms to attach to and grow, they can also block sunlight and damage coral reefs if they wash ashore in large quantities.

5. How do scientists study submarine volcanic vents and pumice rafts?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study submarine volcanic vents and pumice rafts, including remote sensing techniques, underwater robots, and direct observations using submersibles. They also analyze samples of pumice and water collected from these areas to understand their chemical and physical properties.

Back