Submit grad school applications earlier or wait for higher PGRE score?

In summary, the speaker has a strong academic background with a high GRE score, a 4.0 GPA, and research experience in soft matter theory and particle physics theory. They are applying to multiple schools for theory programs. They are considering whether to submit their applications early with their first PGRE score or wait for their potentially higher second score to arrive. The expert suggests waiting to submit the most complete application package and that contacting the school early may be beneficial, but early submission may not have an advantage.
Izzhov
I have a GRE score of 6.0 writing, 170 reading, and 168 quantitative, and a 4.0 GPA. I also have 4 semesters of soft matter theory research and 1 summer of particle physics theory research. I'm applying to do theory to many schools, including MIT, SUNY Stony Brook, Stanford, Harvard, UMass, Yale, UConn, and more.

I heard that if you submit your applications earlier you have a better chance of getting accepted than if you submit them closer to the deadline. However, I just got back my first PGRE score: 760. I think that my second PGRE score, which I should be getting in about 3 weeks, will probably be higher (probably above 800). So, should I submit my applications earlier, sending my first PGRE score with them, and then send the new PGRE score when it arrives? Or should I wait until the second PGRE score comes out and then submit the applications with just that score?

EDIT: And if I do the former, should I include something in my cover letter explaining that I have a probably-better PGRE score on the way?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there's any advantage in applying early. There may be an advantage in contacting the school early, talking with potential advisors, touring the facility, talking with current graduate students, etc. but I suspect that most admissions committees only convene once the admission deadline has passed - at which point the date of actual submission is rather irrelevant.

I would wait to submit the best and most complete application package you can.

1. Should I submit my grad school applications earlier even if my PGRE score is not as high as I hoped?

It ultimately depends on your personal circumstances and the specific programs you are applying to. Some programs have rolling admissions and it may benefit you to apply earlier. However, if your PGRE score is significantly lower than the average for the program, it may be better to wait and retake the exam to improve your chances of acceptance.

2. Can I submit my applications to grad school before receiving my PGRE scores?

Yes, you can submit your applications before your PGRE scores are released. However, it is important to note that your application may not be considered complete until all required materials, including test scores, are received.

3. Will applying earlier increase my chances of getting accepted into grad school?

It depends on the specific program and their admissions process. Some programs have rolling admissions and may consider applications on a first-come, first-served basis. However, for programs that have a specific deadline, applying earlier may not necessarily increase your chances of acceptance. It is important to research the admissions process for each program you are applying to.

4. Should I wait to retake the PGRE before submitting my applications?

If your initial PGRE score is significantly below the average for the programs you are applying to, it may be beneficial to wait and retake the exam before submitting your applications. However, if your score is closer to the average, it may be more beneficial to submit your applications earlier and focus on other aspects of your application, such as letters of recommendation and personal statements.

5. Is it possible to submit my applications early and still retake the PGRE if I am not satisfied with my scores?

Yes, it is possible to submit your applications early and still retake the PGRE if necessary. However, you should check with each program to see if they allow for updated test scores to be submitted after the initial application deadline. If not, it may be better to wait and retake the exam before submitting your applications.