Subscript problem for greek letters in python print function

In summary, the user is trying to create a GUI for a physics project and needs subscripts in the form of latex for `H_0`, `Omega_b`, `Omega_dm`, `Omega_\Lambda`, and `Omega_r`. They are using PySimpleGUI and have run into issues with certain letters not being able to be printed in the GUI. They have asked for help and have been directed to seek answers on Stack Overflow or to try using the PyLaTeX or MathJax extensions for Python markdown.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am trying to create a GUI for a phyiscs project and I need subscripts of these things.
`H_0`,
`Omega_b`,
`Omega_dm`,
`Omega_\Lambda`
`Omega_r`
in the form of latex

My code is something like this

Python:
    import PySimpleGUI as sg

sg.change_look_and_feel('Topanga')     

layout = [
        [sg.Text('Enter the Parameters')],
        [sg.Text("H\N{SUBSCRIPT ZERO}", size=(15, 1)), sg.InputText()],
        [sg.Text("\N{GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA}\N{LATIN SUBSCRIPT SMALL LETTER B}", size=(15, 1)), sg.InputText()],
        [sg.Text("\N{GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA}\N{LATIN SUBSCRIPT SMALL LETTER R}", size=(15, 1)), sg.InputText()],
        [sg.Text("\N{GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA}\N{GREEK SUBSCRIPT SMALL LETTER LAMDA}", size=(15, 1)), sg.InputText()],
        [sg.Text("\N{GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA}\N{LATIN SUBSCRIPT SMALL LETTER DM}", size=(15, 1)), sg.InputText()],
        [sg.Text("z", size=(15, 1)), sg.InputText()],
        [sg.Submit(), sg.Cancel()]
    ]

window = sg.Window('Simple data entry window', layout)
    event, values = window.read()
    window.close()
    print(event, values[0], values[1], values[2], values[3], values[4], values[5])

The most interesting thing is that it can print letters such as `M` or `R` but it cannot print `B` ?? Or It can print `phi` but it cannot print `lambda` ?

You can try this to see that this combination works.

Python:
import PySimpleGUI as sg

sg.change_look_and_feel('Topanga')     

layout = [
        [sg.Text('Enter the Parameters')],
        [sg.Text("H\N{SUBSCRIPT ZERO}", size=(15, 1)), sg.InputText()],
        [sg.Text("\N{GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA}\N{LATIN SUBSCRIPT SMALL LETTER M}", size=(15, 1)), sg.InputText()],
        [sg.Text("\N{GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA}\N{LATIN SUBSCRIPT SMALL LETTER R}", size=(15, 1)), sg.InputText()],
        [sg.Text("\N{GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA}\N{GREEK SUBSCRIPT SMALL LETTER PHI}", size=(15, 1)), sg.InputText()],
        [sg.Text("z", size=(15, 1)), sg.InputText()],
        [sg.Submit(), sg.Cancel()]
    ]

window = sg.Window('Simple data entry window', layout)
    event, values = window.read()
    window.close()
    print(event, values[0], values[1], values[2], values[3], values[4], values[5])
Please help,
Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
Hey Arman, I think that for programming questions you should ask on stackoverflow and not here. That community is humongous and extremely active, you could get answers within minutes.
https://stackoverflow.com/

• Skeptical
Likes Greg Bernhardt
archaic said:
Hey Arman, I think that for programming questions you should ask on stackoverflow and not here. That community is humongous and extremely active, you could get answers within minutes.
https://stackoverflow.com/
I asked there but i didnt get an answer

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Arman777 said:
Or It can print `phi` but it cannot print `lambda` ?
Well, for starters, you misspelled lambda in the line below.
Code:
[sg.Text("\N{GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA}\N{GREEK SUBSCRIPT SMALL LETTER LAMDA}", size=(15, 1)), sg.InputText()],

Why are there accents on many of your letters? In the first line I quoted there are accents on the p in phi and the l in lambda.

Mark44 said:
Well, for starters, you misspelled lambda in the line below.
https://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/03bb/index.htm
Mark44 said:
Why are there accents on many of your letters? In the first line I quoted there are accents on the p in phi and the l in lambda.
Thats indeed strange. I don't know why it happened.
I guess I understand the problem. There is just not subscript unicode for lambda or for some letters.

1. What is a subscript problem for Greek letters in Python print function?

The subscript problem for Greek letters in Python print function refers to the issue where the print function does not display Greek letters in their subscript form. Instead, it displays them as regular letters, making it difficult to represent mathematical equations or chemical formulas accurately.

2. Why does the subscript problem occur in Python print function?

The subscript problem occurs because the print function in Python does not support the use of Unicode characters, which are necessary to display Greek letters in their subscript form. This limitation is due to the way Python handles strings and the print function.

3. How can I solve the subscript problem for Greek letters in Python print function?

One solution is to use the Unicode representation of the Greek letters in the print function. This can be done by using the Unicode code points for the subscript version of the letters (e.g. U+1D6C for the subscript gamma) or by importing the unicodedata library and using the normalize() function.

4. Is there a way to display Greek letters in subscript form without using Unicode in the print function?

Yes, another solution is to use the format() function in Python. This allows you to format the string with subscript tags (<sub> and </sub>) around the Greek letters to achieve the subscript form.

5. Are there any other alternatives to solving the subscript problem for Greek letters in Python print function?

There are some third-party libraries, such as unicodeit or latex2unicode, that can convert LaTeX or Unicode expressions into their equivalent Unicode characters. These libraries can be used to display Greek letters in subscript form in the print function.