Subscripts and superscripts with text editor

• Thread starter Frabjous
  • Start date
In summary, when using subscripts and superscripts with the text editor, a return is inserted before the sub/superscript. To fix it, for now, you have to delete the returns by hand to get everything on one line.
Frabjous
Gold Member
When I use subscripts and superscripts with the text editor, it sticks a return in before the sub/superscript. This is a change in behavior.

I am using safari on an Ipad.

Likes Astronuc
Physics news on Phys.org
Pulling out my iPad... Testing... x

Looks like you're right. I selected the 'x2' by double-tapping on it, dragged one of the selection handles to include only the '2', and tapped the superscript icon.

Looks like to fix it, for now, you have to delete the returns by hand to get everything on one line. Or you can enter the tags by hand when you're writing the post, instead of using the icons.

Last edited:
Can reproduce on Firefox on laptop.

It's even worse than described above. Not only does it insert a return before and after a SUP tag, and before a /SUP tag, it inserts two returns after a /SUP tag.

(Firefox 108.0.2 under Windows 10)

Likes Astronuc
[tirade]
The two following 'Works fine...' are each on their own single line.
105 Works fine on Mypal browser 28.13.0, dated 2006, on Windows XP.
X2 Works fine on Mypal browser 28.13.0, dated 2006 on Windows XP.

And I get static when I point out that site version 'upgrades' stop working on XP. Go figure!

(advance-to-the-rear?)
[end tirade]

@Tom.G: You typed these tags manually, right? That always works. The discussion is about tags inserted via the icons in the editor. They are inserted in all caps and with extra line breaks, while your tags are lowercase.

Likes Wrichik Basu and Tom.G
Tom.G said:
105 Works fine on Mypal browser 28.13.0, dated 2006, on Windows XP.
X2 Works fine on Mypal browser 28.13.0, dated 2006 on Windows XP.
Why are you still on Win XP? Support for it ended almost 9 years ago. I hope that computer is not connected to the internet...

Mark44 said:
Why are you still on Win XP? Support for it ended almost 9 years ago. I hope that computer is not connected to the internet...
I use Windows 7 Home Edition for my old Samsung laptop. Became too attached to it to change it. And yeah, a Samsung laptop going into its 12th year is not too bad.

jtbell said:
Looks like to fix it, for now, you have to delete the returns by hand to get everything on one line. Or you can enter the tags by hand when you're writing the post, instead of using the icons.
On an ios device, you can set up a "Text Replacement" (via Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Text Replacement). For example, I use $$ for itex in square-brackets and either $& or && for \itex in square brackets. (I use inline most often.) You can do a similar thing for SUP and SUB .

On Windows, I use an autohotkey script ( https://www.autohotkey.com/ )
that encloses text that i had selceted
with opening and closing tags,
when invoked by a custom hotkey combination.

No need to replace anything, you can use ## instead of [itex] and [/itex] tags:

##a^2 + b^2 = c^2## becomes ##a^2 + b^2 = c^2##

$$ can be used instead of tex and /tex.

Likes Astronuc
mfb said:
No need to replace anything, you can use ## instead of [itex] and [/itex] tags:

##a^2 + b^2 = c^2## becomes ##a^2 + b^2 = c^2##

$$ can be used instead of tex and /tex.
It is certainly easier to use the ## (inline formulas) and $$ (standalone formulas) symbols-- less typing. The only reason I can see that people still use the bracketed tex and itex tags is because they don't know about the # and $ ones.

For me, on my phone,
$ is on the first non-alphabetic keyboard view,
# is on the second…
so i use the $$ to be replaced by
the itex tags…. but I could use ## instead (and since it’s how I would use TeX elsewhere).

1. What is a subscript and superscript in a text editor?

A subscript is a character or symbol that appears below the baseline of a line of text. A superscript is a character or symbol that appears above the baseline of a line of text. These are used to represent mathematical and scientific formulas, chemical equations, and other specialized notation in a text editor.

2. How do I insert a subscript or superscript in a text editor?

The method for inserting subscripts and superscripts varies depending on the text editor you are using. In most cases, you can use keyboard shortcuts or special menu options to insert these characters. You can also use HTML tags to format text as a subscript or superscript.

3. Can I change the size and position of subscripts and superscripts?

Yes, most text editors allow you to adjust the size and position of subscripts and superscripts to fit your needs. This can be done through the font settings or by using HTML tags to specify the size and position of the characters.

4. Are there any limitations to using subscripts and superscripts in a text editor?

Some text editors may have limitations on the number of subscripts or superscripts that can be used in a single line of text. Additionally, certain fonts may not support all characters used for subscripts and superscripts, so it is important to choose a font that is compatible with your text editor.

5. Can I use subscripts and superscripts in all types of documents?

Subscripts and superscripts can be used in most types of documents, including word processing documents, presentations, and web pages. However, some document formats may not support these characters, so it is important to check the compatibility of your text editor with the document format you are using.