Subtle scientific insight in the field of economics. :)

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper about using nudges to prevent student dropouts during the pandemic. The paper shows that text message nudges to high school students in Brazil were effective in reducing dropouts and increasing motivation to return to school. The conversation also includes a humorous observation about the use of the word "novel" and the categorization of the paper under "General Economics" on arXiv.
sbrothy
Gold Member
I didn't really want to create another thread just to make a (hopefully) humorous observation but on the other hand to link to this paper under a "cranky science" header hardly seems fair. Especially when I really haven't read the thing in it's entirety.

One very scientific statement piqued my curiosity particularly though. Lo (subtle insight at end of abstract):

"Using Nudges to Prevent Student Dropouts in the Pandemic"
- - - - https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.04767

"The impacts of COVID-19 reach far beyond the hundreds of lives lost to the disease; in particular, the pre-existing learning crisis is expected to be magnified during school shutdown. Despite efforts to put distance learning strategies in place, the threat of student dropouts, especially among adolescents, looms as a major concern. Are interventions to motivate adolescents to stay in school effective amidst the pandemic? Here we show that, in Brazil, nudges via text messages to high-school students, to motivate them to stay engaged with school activities, substantially reduced dropouts during school shutdown, and greatly increased their motivation to go back to school when classes resume. While such nudges had been shown to decrease dropouts during normal times, it is surprising that those impacts replicate in the absence of regular classes because their effects are typically mediated by teachers (whose effort in the classroom changes in response to the nudges). Results show that insights from the science of adolescent psychology can be leveraged to shift developmental trajectories at a critical juncture. They also qualify those insights: effects increase with exposure and gradually fade out once communication stops, providing novel evidence that motivational interventions work by redirecting adolescents' attention."

There you have it. I know it's unfair to take it out of context in this way but it lightened my day a little. It might lighten yours as well...

• Haha
Likes Haborix and S.G. Janssens
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Actually, every time I read something classified as "novel" (using that particular word), I feel a bit of an allergy. Also, I don't really understand why this appears under "General Economics" (emphasis mine) on the arXiv.

Likes Haborix
No. I also had to ensure I wrote the right thing. If anything some kind of education would be a better place for it.

A nice example of a more general phenomenon. Given a topic for study and a large landscape of choices to make along the way, any particular set of choices is unlikely to have been made before and therefore "novel". Novel seems to have become synonymous with "different."

1. What is the role of economics in the scientific world?

Economics is a social science that studies how individuals, businesses, and societies allocate their limited resources to satisfy their unlimited wants and needs. It is a key discipline in understanding how the world works, and its insights are crucial for making informed decisions in various fields, such as business, policy-making, and personal finance.

2. How do subtle scientific insights impact the field of economics?

Subtle scientific insights in economics refer to the nuanced and complex understanding of economic phenomena. It involves using rigorous research methods and advanced statistical tools to uncover hidden relationships and patterns in data. These insights can lead to a deeper understanding of economic behavior and help economists make more accurate predictions and recommendations.

3. Can subtle scientific insights be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, subtle scientific insights in economics have practical applications in solving real-world problems. For example, understanding the relationship between supply and demand can help businesses optimize their pricing strategies, while knowledge of behavioral economics can inform policies that aim to promote positive behavior change.

4. How do economists gather subtle scientific insights?

Economists gather subtle scientific insights through various research methods, such as surveys, experiments, and data analysis. They also use economic theories and models to guide their research and make sense of the data. Additionally, collaboration and peer review within the scientific community play a crucial role in validating and refining these insights.

5. Why is it important to have subtle scientific insights in economics?

Having subtle scientific insights in economics is essential because it allows us to better understand the complexities of economic behavior and make more informed decisions. These insights can also help us identify and address issues such as market failures, income inequality, and environmental degradation. Ultimately, they contribute to the advancement of the field of economics and its ability to provide meaningful solutions to real-world problems.