Suction force and pressure difference

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using suction force as a mechanism to compress air in a syringe. The person conducting the study notes that the suction plunger creates a pressure difference, with the air pressure in the smaller tip column being higher than the air pressure in the larger barrel. They also consider the potential for a vacuum pump to create a greater pressure difference, but conclude that the atmospheric pressure would still limit the difference.
mellotango
I am doing a study to see whether suction force can act as a mechanism to compress air. Let's say I have a normal syringe, which consist of the small cylindrical tip at the top of syringes where you attach the needle. Then there is the larger middle barrel for the liquid, medication, etc. Lastly there is the suction plunger at the bottom. If I apply a constant suction force by pulling the plunger constantly for x amount of time till it reaches the end. During this time, would the air pressure at the tip column be more than the air pressure in the barrel? I assume this since the tip tube circumference and volume is much smaller, hence the pressure of air sucked in must be a lot greater in order to fill up the bigger space in the barrel. I do understand this pressure difference equalizes and cancels out once the suction motion by the plunger is halted. But during the time of the sucking motion, is the column of air in the tip subject to a huge pressure increase? And is there a way to calculate this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider this.. Let's say you were to put a cap on the needle end of the syringe, then remove the plunger and connect a vacuum pump in it's place. Now run the pump until there is a vacuum inside the syringe. The pressure difference between the inside and outside of the cap will be limited by atmospheric pressure.

Removing the cap cannot increase the pressure difference.

Using the plunger instead of a pump to reduce the pressure inside can't make the pressure difference any greater than the atmospheric pressure outside.

1. What is suction force?

Suction force is the force that results from the difference in pressure between two areas. In the context of suction, it refers to the force that pulls objects or substances towards a lower pressure area.

2. How is suction force created?

Suction force is created by a pressure difference between two areas. When there is a lower pressure in one area compared to another, the higher pressure area will exert a force that pulls objects or substances towards it.

3. What is the relationship between suction force and pressure difference?

The greater the pressure difference between two areas, the stronger the suction force will be. This means that a larger pressure difference will result in a greater force pulling objects towards the lower pressure area.

4. How is suction force measured?

Suction force is typically measured in units of force, such as Newtons or pounds. It can also be measured in units of pressure, such as Pascals or pounds per square inch (psi).

5. What are some examples of suction force in daily life?

Suction force can be seen in various everyday activities, such as using a vacuum cleaner to clean floors, drinking through a straw, or using a plunger to unclog a drain. It is also essential in medical procedures such as drawing blood or using suction devices during surgery.