Sufficient conditions for a Brownian motion

In summary, Brownian motion is a type of random motion observed in particles in a fluid or gas. It has three main conditions for it to be considered a Brownian motion and appears as a random and erratic movement over time. It has applications in various fields and can be observed in real life phenomena and experiments.
economicsnerd
I'm given a probability measure ##\mathbb P## on ##\Omega = \{f\in C([0,1],\mathbb R): \enspace f(0)=0\}## and told that ##\mathbb P## satisfies i.i.d. increments.

I'm interested in the weakest additional conditions that will ensure that ##\mathbb P## describes a Brownian motion, i.e. that there is some ##\mu\in\mathbb R## and ##\sigma\in\mathbb R_+## such that ##\mathbb P## is the law of ##X## as described by ##dX_t = \mu dt + \sigma dZ_t## for a standard Brownian motion ##Z_t##.

Does it already follow from the assumptions of i.i.d. increments and continuity? It seems like I should be fine (by CLT) as long as increments have well-defined mean and finite variance. Do these properties come for free? If not, can I get away with assuming less? For instance, is it enough to only assume finite variance?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. In order to ensure that the probability measure ##\mathbb P## describes a Brownian motion, in addition to the assumptions of i.i.d. increments and continuity, you will need to assume that the increments have a well-defined mean and finite variance. This is because the defining characteristic of a Brownian motion is that its increments are normally distributed with mean ##\mu## and variance ##\sigma^2##. Without these assumptions, the CLT may not hold and the resulting process may not be a Brownian motion.

However, if you are only interested in the existence of a Brownian motion with the given probability measure ##\mathbb P##, then you may be able to get away with assuming only finite variance. This is because the CLT still holds for finite variance, and you can use it to construct a Brownian motion with the desired probability measure.

In summary, to ensure that ##\mathbb P## describes a Brownian motion, you will need to assume that the increments have a well-defined mean and finite variance. If you are only interested in the existence of a Brownian motion with this probability measure, then assuming finite variance may be enough. I hope this helps. Good luck with your research!

What is a Brownian motion?

A Brownian motion is a type of random motion exhibited by particles in a fluid or gas. It was first observed by scientist Robert Brown in 1827 and is named after him.

What are sufficient conditions for a Brownian motion?

There are three main conditions that must be met in order for a process to be considered a Brownian motion: 1) the process must have independent increments, 2) the increments must be normally distributed, and 3) the increments must have a mean of zero and a variance equal to the time interval.

How does a Brownian motion behave over time?

A Brownian motion is a continuous and non-differentiable process, meaning that it cannot be described by a smooth mathematical function. Instead, it appears as a random and erratic movement over time, with no specific pattern or direction.

What are the applications of Brownian motion?

Brownian motion has many applications in physics, chemistry, and biology. It is used to model the movement of small particles in a fluid, the diffusion of molecules, and the behavior of stock prices in finance. It has also been used in the development of stochastic calculus, which is a branch of mathematics used to model and analyze random processes.

Can Brownian motion be observed in real life?

Yes, Brownian motion can be observed in various natural phenomena such as the movement of pollen grains in water, the diffusion of ink in water, and the movement of dust particles in the air. It is also used in experiments to study the properties of matter at a microscopic level.