Suggested video lectures: theoretical physics

In summary, the conversation is about suggestions for video lectures that go beyond basic overviews and introductory courses. Susskind's "Theoretical Physics: the Bare Minimum" on iTunes U is mentioned as a prototype for what the person is looking for, but they are also interested in more advanced topics like representation theory and exterior calculus. The main sources for video lectures are iTunes U and MIT's Open CourseWare, but the Perimeter Institute also has a collection of courses and seminars online, although the audio and video quality is not the best. The Perimeter Institute website and seminar archive are provided as potential resources for more advanced lectures.
jjustinn
Anyone have any suggestions for video lectures that go beyond the standard overview-for-the-layman or slightly-lower-level introductory courses? A post somewhere on here pointed me to Susskind's "Theoretical Physics: the Bare Minimum" on "iTunes U", which is sort of the prototype for what I'm looking for -- but maybe something aiming for slightly more advanced students (or perhaps a similar introductory look at more advanced topics, like maybe representation theory or exterior calculus).

So...any tips for specific lectures, or maybe suggestions for places to look? The two main resources I know of are iTunes U and MIT's Open CourseWare.

Physics news on Phys.org
Susskinds lectures and MIT OCW are the two main sources of video lectures out there.

The Perimiter Institute also has a collection of courses and seminars online, though I have to say the audio quality is sub-par and you can't enlarge the video feed (or at least i haven't figured out how). If you watch a video you'll understand what i mean but at certain points a picture will pop up of what is being written on the blackboard.

http://www.perimeterscholars.org/266.html

http://www.perimeterscholars.org/253.html

If you click on a course listed you will be redirected to a lecture series.

Also there is the seminar archive: http://pirsa.org/

But again, I have to stress that the quality is sub-par.

1. What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical models and principles to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. It focuses on understanding the fundamental laws of nature and the underlying principles that govern the universe.

2. What are some key topics covered in suggested video lectures on theoretical physics?

Some key topics covered in suggested video lectures on theoretical physics include quantum mechanics, relativity, cosmology, particle physics, and thermodynamics. These lectures may also cover specific theories such as string theory, quantum field theory, and general relativity.

3. Who would benefit from watching suggested video lectures on theoretical physics?

Anyone with an interest in understanding the fundamental principles of the universe and how it works would benefit from watching suggested video lectures on theoretical physics. These lectures are also beneficial for students studying physics, as well as professionals in the field who want to expand their knowledge.

4. Are the suggested video lectures on theoretical physics suitable for beginners?

It depends on the specific lecture and the background knowledge of the viewer. Some lectures may assume a basic understanding of physics concepts, while others may be more introductory and suitable for beginners. It is important to read the descriptions and reviews of the lectures before watching to determine if they are suitable for your level of knowledge.

5. How can watching suggested video lectures on theoretical physics benefit my understanding of the world?

Studying theoretical physics can help us understand the fundamental laws that govern the universe and how everything works at a fundamental level. It can also help us develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills as we learn to analyze and interpret complex theories and phenomena. Additionally, many practical applications and technologies, such as GPS and medical imaging, are based on principles of theoretical physics.