Suggestion for New General Discussion Header

• Thread starter Feeble Wonk
  • Start date
In summary, the "General Discussion" options should be renamed to "Physical Philosophy" because it is a forum for philosophical speculation about scientific concepts, which is typically untestable. However, the mentor could provide some guidance about when a proposed idea is simply "wrong", for scientific reasons. There are no others out there that would have interest in such a forum.
Feeble Wonk
I'd like to suggest a new header for your "General Discussion" options, which might be something like "Physical Philosophy". I frequently come to Physics Forums for informed opinion on a variety of Physics issues. These inquiries often lead to questions (in my mind anyway) about what modern physics is actually telling us about the nature of existence... about the nature of "reality", so to speak. I understand that this track of thought leads away from academic testable science, and the threads are frequently shut down because of that. But, despite this, I suspect that there are a lot of PF participants like myself that would enjoy those kinds of (admittedly philosophical) discussions, in an intellectual environment that is at least grounded in legitimate scientific inquiry rather than "new age" pseudoscience silliness. I also think there would be great value in having this forum of discussion monitored by your mentors for exactly that reason. Philosophical speculation about scientific concepts, by its very nature, is typically untestable, which is why it's not "science". But the mentor could at least provide some guidance about when a proposed idea is simply "wrong", for scientific reasons. Are there others out there that would have interest in such a forum?

Physics news on Phys.org
We just recently made the decision to shut down the Philosophy sub-forum because it was basically a bunch of people that didn't know the science posting as if they did and then becoming argumentative when attempts were made to correct them. It was a mess and I am afraid it's not something that fits with our mission, as stated in the Global Guidelines. It is something that we do not wish to consider at this time.

Fair enough. It was just a thought. The "being corrected" part was precisely the value that I was looking for of course, but I see your point.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Feeble Wonk said:
Are there others out there that would have interest in such a forum?
Member #50 says, "No." That was something that was "tolerated" for far too long, and attracted far more disruptive members and posts than was useful.

Likes Evo

1. What is a suggestion for a new general discussion header?

A suggestion for a new general discussion header could be a more specific and engaging title that accurately represents the topic being discussed.

2. Why is a new general discussion header needed?

A new general discussion header may be needed to better capture the attention of readers and encourage more participation in the discussion.

3. How can a new general discussion header be created?

A new general discussion header can be created by brainstorming ideas and considering the main focus of the discussion. It can also be helpful to gather feedback from others and make revisions as needed.

4. What are some examples of effective general discussion headers?

Examples of effective general discussion headers could include questions, intriguing statements, or specific keywords related to the topic being discussed. For example, "What Are Your Thoughts on Climate Change?" or "The Impact of Social Media on Mental Health."

5. Can a general discussion header be changed multiple times?

Yes, a general discussion header can be changed multiple times if needed. It is important to regularly reassess and update the header to accurately reflect the current discussion and attract new readers.