Suggestions for a good Enhanced Electric Kettle?

Ephant
Hi, I forgot to fill up my electric kettle with water before turning it on and the bottom melted (see last picture). See the following, the top or cover is also wide and I don't want it to accidentally tip over and the hot water spilled on table. Can you suggest other electric kettle with good mechanical design and more secure cover? But one like the following that is pluggable at bottom so it is easy to set it unlike plugging in to outlet everything one uses it. Thanks.

kettle 2.jpg

kettle 3.jpg

kettle 1.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ephant said:
Can you suggest other electric kettle with good mechanical design and more secure cover? But one like the following that is pluggable at bottom so it is easy to set it unlike plugging in to outlet everything one uses it.
I don't know your location. The model will be locally available, so it has the right plug, voltage, and technical compliance. You can return it easily if it is faulty.

Find a kettle made from stainless steel, it will not melt so easily.

Select one with a central connection in a circular base, so you can return it to stand facing the opposite way when it is empty. Then you know if it is empty before turning it back on.

A kettle requires a high electric current. There is an advantage in disconnecting and reconnecting it at the wall outlet, and flipping the switch a couple of times. That removes oxide from the plug contacts, and so prevents overheating of the outlet from the high current. Do that, maybe each week, or month.

Find a better cook, someone who can heat water without burning it.

Baluncore said:
I don't know your location. The model will be locally available, so it has the right plug, voltage, and technical compliance. You can return it easily if it is faulty.

Find a kettle made from stainless steel, it will not melt so easily.

Select one with a central connection in a circular base, so you can return it to stand facing the opposite way when it is empty. Then you know if it is empty before turning it back on.
[/QUOTE]

I can't visualize this circular thing and standing up description, can you please show a picture or illustration what you mean? I'm using the kettle personally in my room.

Baluncore said:
A kettle requires a high electric current. There is an advantage in disconnecting and reconnecting it at the wall outlet, and flipping the switch a couple of times. That removes oxide from the plug contacts, and so prevents overheating of the outlet from the high current. Do that, maybe each week, or month.

Find a better cook, someone who can heat water without burning it.

Baluncore said:
This is the circular style.
It has a start switch below the handle.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/113912402096?

When its empty, you can rotate it to any degrees so they can indicate it is empty? It is not automatic and you have to memorize the orientation? but what if other people rotate it to other degrees when empty?

What happens if it is plugged on when empty?

Ephant said:
It is not automatic and you have to memorize the orientation?
Correct. If you cannot reach the switch, you cannot start it. If you must pick it up, or turn it on the base, you will know how much water is in it.

Other people can trick you, but you do not rely on orientation. Rotation is a simple habit that prevents problems when you return it empty.

Ephant said:
It is an example of the style.
Different kettles will do different things.

Likes Ephant
Ephant said:
I believe they are generally expected to be able to switch off if empty and prevent overheating.

Your deceased kettle seems to be lacking in this regard.

Maybe you should concentrate on that when selecting the new one?