Suggestions for algebra books.

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for college algebra ebooks with challenging exercises. The speaker is specifically interested in undergraduate level college algebra and the conversation includes a recommendation for Topics in Algebra by I. N. Herstein. The conversation also distinguishes between college algebra and abstract algebra, with the former being a more basic course.
paulmdrdo1
what college algebra ebooks can you recommend, with exercises that are quite challenging. because i have some college algebra ebooks, but i find the exercises there not intellectually stimulating.( I'm asking about college algebra that are taught in undergraduate programs).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
paulmdrdo said:
what college algebra ebooks can you recommend, with exercises that are quite challenging. because i have some college algebra ebooks, but i find the exercises there not intellectually stimulating.( I'm asking about college algebra that are taught in undergraduate programs).
Topics in Algebra by I. N. Herstein is a perfect book to read college algebra from. There are more advanced texts available too but if you are a beginner at college algebra I don't think there's a better book.

paulmdrdo said:

caffeinemachine said:
Topics in Algebra by I. N. Herstein is a perfect book to read college algebra from. There are more advanced texts available too but if you are a beginner at college algebra I don't think there's a better book.

@paulmdrdo: I'm not sure about your country, but here in the US, college algebra is a very much more basic course than abstract algebra. Here is a typical college algebra text. As you can see, the level of the material is somewhere between high school Algebra II and Pre-Calculus. This is opposed to abstract algebra, which is a junior or senior level mathematics course in college. caffeinemachine gave you one link to a typical abstract algebra book. My favorite is actually Abstract Algebra, by the same author.

Which kind of algebra did you have in mind in the OP?

Related to Suggestions for algebra books.

1. What are the best algebra books for beginners?

There are several great algebra books for beginners, including "Algebra for Dummies" by Mary Jane Sterling and "Algebra: A Complete Introduction" by Hugh Neill and Rachel Hilliard. It is also helpful to check for books that have been recommended by teachers or other experts in the field.

2. Are there any online resources for algebra books?

Yes, there are many online resources for algebra books, such as Khan Academy, Math Planet, and OpenStax. These resources offer free online algebra textbooks and practice problems for students of all levels.

3. What is the best way to decide on an algebra book?

The best way to decide on an algebra book is to consider your level of understanding and learning style. Some books may be more suitable for visual learners, while others may be better for hands-on learners. It is also helpful to read reviews and compare different books to find the one that best fits your needs.

4. Can I use a high school algebra book for college algebra?

It depends on the course and curriculum. High school algebra books may cover some of the same topics as college algebra, but they may not go into the same depth or use the same terminology. It is best to check with your professor or academic advisor to determine which book is most suitable for your course.

5. Are there any algebra books that focus on specific topics?

Yes, there are algebra books that focus on specific topics such as linear algebra, abstract algebra, or algebraic geometry. These books may be more advanced and typically require a strong foundation in algebra. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of basic algebra before delving into more specialized topics.